Diet to support liver function

EmmaF

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me. I’ve just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which they believe has spread to my ovaries, peritoneum and liver. I’m awaiting a biopsy for a full picture and don’t yet know what my treatment options (if any) will be.

I’m 38 and reasonably active and (until

now!) pretty healthy with a reasonable diet - I don’t drink and don’t smoke.

I’ve heard from others on this forum the importance of diet at this point to support my liver function - do you have any recommendations of things I should / should not be eating? My appetite is a bit reduced now (although no weight loss yet) so I’m just eating as and when I can throughout the day, supplementing with lots of bananas, smoothies and yoghurts.

Any advice is very gratefully received!

Thank  you 🙏 

My fiancé was advised lots of leafy greens to help his iron levels as they were low due to the cancer being in his liver. Also as much food as he could manage to make him strong enough to withstand treatment. 

hope this helps x

I am following this too Emma, very interested in diet with pancreatic cancer, my husband was the biggest foodie before being diognosed with this and now he struggles to fancy anything and can only tolerate small amounts, we were advised to bulk up on calories but it's messing his type 2 diabetes up as well.

Regards

Netty

X

I will attempt to give you some information as an introduction which I received from my Integrative Medical Physician (ICM). I would recommend you consult one as well. My ICM is a physician not a naturopath. His interest is oncology. As he is a physician he respects and works closely with oncologists. 

The liver has two pathways for detoxification. The following are general recommendations:

-Phytonutrient density food

-Low glycemic value food 

-Organic and clean food

-Beverages: green tea, pure, filtered water, herbal teas

-Reduce exposure to harmful chemicals: dietary, home and office, and personal care.

Recommended bifunctional phytochemical modulators which regulate both Phase 1 and Phase 2 liver detoxification: 

-brassica vegetables

-garlic

-onions

-organic soy

-beets

-artichoke

-water cress

-pomegranate 

-citrus fruits

-berries

-herbs and spices (i.e., turmeric)

-green tea

As I mentioned, please consult with someone who is more knowledgeable than myself. 

Best wishes.