Whipples Operation

Guest simon

Hi there,

I am about to go into hospital to have the whipples operation . wondered if there is anyone reading this who can be of some support .

Am pretty healthy at the moment, so i feel a bit of a fraud, but this is mainly due to having two stents in my bile duct keeping it all open.I have a 2cm tumour in my pancratic duct, which has been causing me obstructive jaundice on and off over the last two years . My surgeon thinks it is benign, as it is slow growing(i first had a scan on it in June 2005 ) whilst living in Australia.

My worst period was Dec/Jan just gone, my bilarubin level went up to 580 for a couple of weeks. The word itchy does not come close to discribing it!!!

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

After being diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in February 2006 I underwent 24 weeks of chemotherapy followed by a 5-week course of radiotherapy with chemotherapy and had a Whipples operation in December. I went into hospital feeling quite healthy as I hadn't suffered any jaundice symptoms at all.

Because of the radiotherapy treatment I had a higher risk of complications with the operation and stayed in hospital for 3 weeks. Surgery was successful and the tumour removed. I had 50% of my pancreas removed and restructing work which has left me with half my stomach. I had difficulty with eating at first and lost my apetite but over the last few weeks I have been much better and regained my apetite although eating smaller portions. It is now 3 months since the operation, I had the bile tube removed a month ago and I am feeling and looking well.

Good luck with the operation, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you are starting to feel better after your op. The best news is that you were a candidate for surgery. It does take time to get back to 'normal' after this major surgery so take things slowly. Some people say yopu have to adjust to a new normal as if you now have a smaller stomach and little or no pancreas eating needs to be smaller more regular meals. There could also be bowel issues! But hopefully your Drs will give you info on what to expect. My Mum had her whipple in Feb 2006 followed by 6 months of chemo and she is still doing really well. She is very thin but has lots of energy and leads a pretty normal life. Wishing you all the best.

Hi guys, thanks for all your support. it's 11.30 at night and I go into to UHCL tomoorow morning at 7am for the op. Feel pretty relaxed as i know i am in good hands. Also feel very lucky as we are pretty sure my tumor is benign.

Will post again soon when i come out the other side :D

• 1 year later...

Hi there

it is almost 8 months since I had my Whipples procedure carried out and a benign tumour (mass) was removed at xx Hospital. Last week I had an ultrasound scan (first visit to hospital since op) I have not heard anything back from the hospital so I assume all is OK. My next appointment is not 'till May. The worst experince for my by far has to be flatulance, hardly a day go'es by when I do not get a bad session of it with some real pain in the lower abdomen. Fortunately for me my wife can see the funny side of it although when I am out and about it can be embarrasing to say the least. The doctor did put me on Fybrogel for a while but although this calmed down my stools it did nothing for the wind so I stopped taking it. I have started taking Actival once a day and this does seem to help. I also seem to be losing my appetite and have stated taking Metatone (a good old fashioned tonic). The surgeon (Mr M Metcalfe) did say that it will be at least 12 months before I feel 100% and although I took this information with a pinch of salt at the time, I now know that he is probably right. I am my own worst enemy and really do not have the patience but after doing too much a week ago (clearing out the garage) and cocking myself up I have slowed right down and making a real effort to be a good patient.

I hope that this information (such as it is) will help and wish all of those who are not as fortunate as me a full recovery from your afflictions.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hello Simon,

It is now June and I have just read your post and by now you will be post op and I hope all went well for you. I had a Whipples in 1997, the tumor was benign, Yay!!

The first four years for me was like going to hell and back as I felt sick, vommitted, you name it on a regular basis. My surgeon finally (before opening me up again) sent me to an alternative Dr who suggested a fasting test which proved I was Dairy and Wheat intolerant. (I notice when I eat these foods I do itch.) Probably always have been but the symptoms became worse post op. If I keep off these foods I am fine, plus smaller meals and zilch fats. It is now 12 years down the track and was doing really well but unfortunately I now have other bowel problems which are going to be addressed within the next month or so, but that is another story.

I do so feel for people going into a whilpples procedure as it is really so big. I do trust you are on the road to recovery. Do take care

Robyn in New Zealand

Hi Robyn & Simon,

I have suspected that since my operation I have developed an intoerance to wheat and have been buying gluton free foodstuffs and I do have to say that I have felt better for it. I also went to the doctor and he has taken blood for testing to see if this is what is happening. I re-joined my gym on Saturday and have one session so far and will be going back this morning. Not going mad mind you just 45 minutes of gentle exercise. The trainer I have was a physio at the hospital so she is fully aware of my op and what it entailed. These past two weeks I have felt a lot better. The latest thoughts on the recovery period for a whipples is now 18 months not 12 but if I carry on as I am by the time I get to August and the next visit to see the surgeon I shoud be almost fully fit. (Keep your fingers crossed). Hope you are both feeling better and all the best.

Peter

Good morning Peter. Good to hear from you and keep up the good work. I was most interestedt to hear about your wheat intolerance. It didn't show up in the blood test the Dr/Surgeon ordered and aparantly this is often the case. It became so obvious when I went on the food intoerance fasting programme then introduced it back into my diet. I am fortunate enough to live in a small town where there are natural mineral pools and I find water walking is so beneficial. Have to admit to not always being self disciplined though. LOL

Cheers Robyn

• 3 years later...

I have not posted anything on this site for some time due to the fact that I have felt considerably better. It has transpired that I do not have a problem with wheat intolerance but I have been put onto Creon and have been taking these before meals for probably 2/3 years. I have a question. Has anybody suffered with bad breath by taking Creon. My wife has told me several times recently that my breath has a certain odour to it and I can only think that it may be the Creon. Any ideas??

Peter

Hi Peter, Yes I know all about bad breath and I get it when I eat foods that don't agree with me... ie Dairy and Wheat. And my mouth feels like the bottom of a bird cage. LOL Hope all is going well for you otherwise.

Cheers

Dear All,

It is great to hear of all these Whipple success stories. I had a Whipple a couple of years ago and now live an almost completely normal life, helped by Creon with each meal. Regarding the bad breath issue, have you tried drinking LOTS of water? I drink at least a litre a day.

All the best,

SueF

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have a question for anyone taking Creon. If I have a particularly fatty meal I will take up to 8/10 dosage 25,000 capsules. My question is, is it better to take this number of capsules at intervals through the meal or all at once prior to the meal. I have been in the habit of taking them all at once at the start of a meal. I would be interested in your reply's.

Peter

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Peter,

This would depend on how long the meal lasted - for example, a 3 course meal, we would recommend having some at the start, some half way through before main meal, and some before desert. If you are just having a main meal, its fine to take them all at the start, but equally, you can split the dose so that you take some at the start and some half way through.

Its up to you - you are taking them, and that's the most important! Well done!

Jeni.