Travel Insurance scam

LindaH

Hi,

Well bless my soul, they - Travel Insurance Thieves - are certainly trying to steal my money.....

My hubby and I would like to travel to New York for 4 days for my 60th birthday....count them....4 days that's all....best quote to date £2764 Fantastic. The flippin' hotel & flight cost less than that for the two of us. Crazy.

Have I got leprosy NO....but you would jolly well think I had, because I am being treated like a Leper.

There is one company who gave me a quote of high hundreds and were actually very apologetic about it being so high, but as for the rest, they are discriminating me at a time when I am at a low ebb and vulnerable (I'm not, I'm actually okay, but they don't know that) but the best thing is....they are Cancer Insurance Travel Companies who claim to accept all types of cancer patients. Unbelievable isn't it?

Thanks I've enjoyed the rant. Linda

Scandalous price. Most things that could happen are not likely to incapacitate you so you should have time to travel home if it comes to it.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Sorry Linda - unfortunately, America is one to the worst places to travel to because of the cost of its own healthcare.

Europe would be better - not sure how much by, but certainly cheaper than this. I think Steve got a reasonable"ish" quote.

Yes, it is awful. I know if you want to go tot he States, this is the price. Many cancer patients travel without, but I am not sure that I would recommend that, however, could not blame you if you decided to pursue that option.

Hope you sort something out soon!

Jeni.

Linda, frustrating as it is, I can understand why it's so much to be honest. The cost of healthcare out there is enormous. My youngest son fell and split his chin while were in the States in May and he had to have 3 tiny stitches - it cost us $900! So you can only imagine what it might cost for a hospital stay for example.

K

x

Hi

There was another thread about travel insurance recently (Bee was asking about it). As we were off on holiday I'd been doing some investigating aswell.

Cancer uk website has companies on it that will look at quoting for pre existing medical conditions.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/coping-with-cancer/coping-practically/travel/travel-insurance#

There is also a thread on this site recommending a company MIA. http://forum.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=286&p=1803&hilit=Travel+insurance#p1803

I tried them myself but we couldn't get a quote only because we are going to Greece. Unfortunately as Kate points out, the US is very expensive for healthcare and I doubt MIA would cover there (worth looking into though).

The best quote we got was with Stay sure for about £800 that was for 2 weeks.

In the end we just got bog standard travel insurance so would be covered if baggage got lost for example and took the risk that if Jonathan got poorly due to a pre existing condition, we'd just have to pay.

As things transpired, we saved ourselves a fortune.

Cathy

Edited by Cathy

No worries Linda tho spotted the links didn't work so have edited the post and redone them. They seem ok now.

Good luck

Cathy xx

• 5 months later...