Swollen ankles

CFF

Hi,

My dad had the Whipples in December 2009 and unfortunately after chemo last year the cancer returned in April this year. There's now very tiny spots on his lungs, not his liver (last scan results June this year) and the oncologist said it's developing very slowly which is as good news as we could hope for really and no 'timescales' were given.

I've just noticed today he has a very swollen ankle - very. He says he's not painful though he isn't great at being forthcoming with when he's in pain.

Have just done some internet research (although I always advise against this for people, self diagnosis often causes panic!) and it suggests that it might be because of liver / kidney failure.

He's on a 50mg patch plus top up oramorph, steroids, stomach lining meds, diclofenac and paracetamol.

Any one else have any experience of swollen ankles in similar situation?

Prob best I just tell the oncologist.

C

Hi C

So sorry to hear about your Dad. With regards to swollen ankles that is actually the symptom that led to blood tests, that lead to liver/kidney problems that eventually led to diagnosis of pc. Would definately tell oncologist or even get in touch with Gp sooner so that any meds needed to relieve swelling etc could be given. It could also of course not be related to current condition and therefore need investigating.

Best wishes to you and your family in this terrible situation.

endee x

Thanks for your reply endee.

Texted my mum last night and didn't want to panic her but said we need to act on it. We have appointment with GP this morning which I'll go to. Am worried this might be an indication of kidneys or liver problems even though the last scan suggested these areas were clear. Although the oncologist did always say that 'symptoms' can be a better indicator of how things are progressing rather than scans.

Thanks again, fingers crossed it's something less problematic. Just when I think we have a bit of a 'reprieve' with the pc something else happens.

C

Hi C

Do let us know how your Dad got on at the appointment. I know that whenever Ted gets any 'new' symptoms I always think it's caused by the pc but obviously that isn't always the case.

Nicki

Thanks for your kind messages :)

After a couple of hours at the hospital and an impressive bump to the front of the queue on a Monday morning we were sent home with no blood clots which of course is good. My parents both spent a gruelling 2 hours with the pain mgt consultant (she's helpful but hard work) this afternoon who couldn't really identify why the new symptoms are occurring. Blood results not great - saw the print out and almost every line says 'abnormal'. Might need a blood transfusion. Dad's getting more tired though, forgetful and his leg muscles are seriously losing strength down to malnutrition. She said unlikely cancer is in brain but any more deterioration might warrant a scan. He has resolved to try and drink more Ensure energy drinks and we're trying to find calves liver which he likes and is probably full of protein.

Meanwhile, my long term boyfriend and I had decided (between these 4 walls...secret not out yet) to get married before my dad passes which breaks my heart to type but of course is inevitable. Unfortunately, boyfriend has 2 slipped discs, off work for 5 months and requires operation. We are desperately trying to get this sorted so we can make plans (am sure I can knock up wedding I'll be happy with quickly). He called to chase op today and they've lost his file and the consultant who allegedley made referral is on leave for 2 weeks. My dad's sister has just fallen over and broken her hip and requires some attention also.

I can cope (just, and only just) with my dad having pc and that he is not going to get better. But I also wish those that ultimately are going to get better would get better. If anyone else gets sick I might cry (tears generally reserved for my dad only at the moment).

I thought when the oncologist said it was in his lungs but developing slowly that we had a bit more time than we thought but now these other symptoms are appearing I think it may be 'attacking' him again.

Bloody pc.

No need to reply really, am just having a rant to those that I think will understand.

x

We understand,

Bless you, what a carry on, I'm hoping things get sorted so you can make yr dad very proud when you get married xxxx

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Its a terrible disease isn't it. Glad you getting married, i'm sure your dad will be so proud, and it is something for all the family to focus on and look forward to.

louie x