Thanx Very Much Coronation Street ....

marie souter

I totally agree as even if you don't have the sickness and side effects from Chemo the side effects of PC are bad enough wherein you have non choice but to pace yourself? Would love to see Hayley and Roy get into some fundraisers where they promote the common 'MISDIAGNOSIS' that would be awesome ... Hayley gets angry and wants to help other people ... BAH ... maybe I should write to the studios xx

ROARS

indignatiously

(if thats even a word J)

hugz

Marie

xx

• 1 month later...

Will be traumatic this week. I do think Julie and David have played the parts very well but if I'd been advising some things would have been a bit different. For example, and yes I know, artistic license and symbolic of Julie's end in 'The Street', but pushing a terminal PC patient in a wheelchair along a cobbled street? I don't think so!

I am LIVID and I am upset and crying.

How could you allow or support this ending to the plot?

Sure if itv want to run a vol euthanasia story then do it in a context of people who gave seen decline and suffering g that takes them to the edge. MS and MND are common contexts. NOT PC.

This does a total disservice to patients, survivors, suffers not with us and all those who strive for a cure.

Paul

morpaul wrote:

> I am LIVID and I am upset and crying.

> How could you allow or support this ending to the plot?

> Sure if itv want to run a vol euthanasia story then do it in a context of

> people who gave seen decline and suffering g that takes them to the edge.

> MS and MND are common contexts. NOT PC.

> This does a total disservice to patients, survivors, suffers not with us

> and all those who strive for a cure.

> Paul

I tend to agree. My husband was SO ill and desperate to go at the end but he would never have committed suicide or asked me to help him.

Of course there is a much larger debate around assisted suicide and it seems the focus has switched from pancreatic cancer to assisted suicide.

i have to agree, sorry but this is not helping pc patients at all, its just an excuse to peddle out the whole euthanasia plot again....total disrespect to those who fought so hard and those still fighting!!! my dad would never have commited suicide, he hung on for every last second to be with his family. and sorry hayley is NOT typical of a terminal PC patient. xx

I always thought, and still do think, that it was great that Corrie publicised PC, and for that I thank them. I do not understand why on earth they would then sensationalise it with euthanasia. It was not necessary to do that, and it took the whole emphasis of PC away from the plot line. It will now be all surrounding ass suicide.

My mum, like so many other brave people, fought for her last breath, the docs gave up on her in Oct 2011 saying she would be gone within weeks, her sole determination gave her the strength to carry on until 30 December 2011, purely because she did not want to miss her last Christmas, which she didn't, she even raised a glass.

I feel Corrie have done PC sufferers a disservice, in the outcome of Hayley's demise. An iconic character, who showed guts and determination and would not have bailed out before her time, this time the writers got it wrong!

I don't watch Coronation Street, but watched Daybreak this morning as I knew they were going to cover this issue. I can see how this is a contentious subject and sympathise with the argument on both sides. However the clip I saw suggested that although she had pancreatic cancer she was mobile and mentally clear. The fact that she chose to commit suicide tends to devalue my life. I would seem to be in a similar position, true I don't have pain, but that can usually be effectively treated. Personally I think I've got a lot to live for.

I understand that PCUK were involved as advisers in this storyline at least until the Samaritans took over. I would hope they make it clear to the programme's producers that the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer doesn't mean that life's not worth living.

All the comments regarding the twist this story line has taken seem to say the same thing. Pancreatic Cancer and suicide are mutually exclusive. Whilst I am in a relatively good place at the moment, I could never imagine going down this route. Shame that ITV tried to squeeze extra (viewing figures?) out of the situation by making it two (or three) stories which were totally incompatible with each other.

I feel the Galaxy Quest quote coming on again....

Never give up...never surrender!

Steve

X

Having very recently said goodbye to someone with PC I can truthfully say that his life was worth living right up to the end. He never gave up hope even when there seemed so little to hope for and would never have taken this route. Such a shame that an opportunity to raise awareness was squandered in such a way

I did watch last night's episode and I have to admit to supporting VOLUNTARY euthanasia. My brother died in August 2012 suffering PC. My sister died some years ago from bowel cancer, my Aunt from lung cancer and I am afraid I did not see the often stated 'palliative care removing extreme pain" for any of these relatives. I was close to all three and with them a lot of the time. I listened to them stating that they wanted to die because of this pain and lack of almost any quality of life, as for the character Haley being mobile, for her death to be legal she had to cause it herself without help therefore, it was essential for her to be able and in her right mind to ensure she was physically and mentally capable. It should be a choice. When I am faced with this as may be the case, I don't know whether I would make that choice or not, the drive for life is very strong. I would however, like there to be a legal choice for me to do so.

This story line which some see as linking PC with suicide is balanced by the recent sad deaths of prominent people with PC who have not taken this route. I personally do not see it as promoting suicide or euthanasia but perhaps understanding why some people, perhaps a very few, might do so. Perhaps seeking legal rights for people wishing to do so by allowing medical euthanasia at a time when they are no longer able and capable would allow these people to live a great deal longer.

Judi x

Nadia - Support Team

Hi All,

We know that Hayley's story in Coronation Street has been difficult viewing and that there are mixed views about the decision of the programme makers to take the storyline down a 'Right to die' route.

A few of you have asked questions about Pancreatic Cancer UK's involvement in the storyline within this thread. We have posted a new blog on our website to reflect on the impact that the storyline has had on the cause and our charity. This blog also clarifies the charity's involvement with Coronation street. You can read the blog here - http://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/about-us/blog/archive/2014/january/pancreatic-cancer-uk-and-coronation-street

Best wishes,

Anna

Support Team

MSH wrote "However the clip I saw suggested that although she had pancreatic cancer she was mobile and mentally clear."

This is my bugbear, and although in pain she was able to get an ironing board out and iron a shirt!

I am heartened to read the PCUK had concerns about the way the story changed.

As well as having been affected by what was thought to be pancreatic cancer (had a Whipple in 2010, tumour was benign), I volunteer for Samaritans. We hold the view that each person has the right to make decisions about their life and we respect those decisions. We all respond to pancreatic cancer, or other crises, in our own way. The important thing is to make sure that people are supported throughout the time remaining to them. I am not at all sure that I would have had the courage to follow the example of the brave people we read about on this website but I am absolutely certain that I would want to be supported, whatever my decision.

Best wishes,

SueF

cobbles + wheelchair .. even with a broken leg .. nope?

Do they even understand the adbodminal pain PC causes? There is no way I could've took my mom over those cobblestones, the slightest bump caused her a lot of pain.

so yep cobbles and wheelchair is all I've come to expect from this show .. ridiculous..

I also agree with Julia ... there comes a time when you stop fighting for your loved one..I did too (and I never thought I would)...I am pro euthanasia (surprisingly)I still feel though that regardless of how well acted this was..it could've done so much more for this disease than just provide a debate over the right to end your life....although I agree people should have the right to choose how their life ends whether its through MS or PC if its clear the end is ni' ... aside from that tho this could've gone one better and really got the message across about the lack of funding the common misdiagnosis the survival rate etc..they had so many opportunities and they were wasted ..

Marie, you are absolutely right. The programme missed a great opportunity to press home the cause of better diagnosis and treatment of PC in favour of the sensational issue of suicide, euthanasia or assisted suicide. I haven't watched The Street for many years partly because they abandoned the old character of the programme to compete with East Enders in the gutter.

There was a very moving debate on Radio 5 Live yesterday morning but most callers seemed to be suffering with motor neurons and similar illnesses where the course of the disease is more predictable and one can more easily understand the call for dignity to be respected. We all know that our own cruel affliction is much more volatile and takes so many unexpected twists and turns that often cannot be foreseen. It is probably easy for me to say at the moment that I would not contemplate ending my own life with or without assistance but I am uplifted by the accounts of courage related on this forum. These give me inspiration that, hopefully a long way off yet, I will display similar fortitude to face the end game as courageously as those we have lost in recent months.

One distressing factor in the debate was the perceived variations in palliative care in the latter stages of life that strayed from outstanding to "a joke", non-existent! Was that just down to perception or the dreaded Post Code Lottery?

Love and Peace

Mike

Hi MIke,

How are you???? Sorry have not been on much lately have been trying to just deal with my loss..You are so right about the unexpected twists and turns of PC .. we know my mom had so many rollercoaster times .. she would be bed-bound and babbling one week and the next out shopping totally back to normal, I felt the message about getting correct medications was also missed ... with regards to palliative care .. we all know how outspoken I was with doctors consultants nurses etc...but when u fall ill on a weekend you are literally stuffed if you have this kind of illness and refuse hospital treatment...my sis looked after my mom on thurs 31st oct to give me my break ... I went back on the friday 1st nov and immediately noticed the change in mom .. (of course I felt guilty cos my sis didnt know mom like me and didnt recognise the difference)...she had new pain and her abdomen was more distended ... by the sunday I got the doc out as the district nurses couldnt control her pain ... and he confirmed what I already feared ... she was coming from partial to full obstruction and I knew there was no turning back from that point..her pain became more intense and I did the only thing I knew I could get done for her and I pushed and pushed for more pain relief and also for sedatives as she was so distressed ... so she was on the course there was no return from BUT it took me from the monday to the friday 8th to actually get the dosage right on knocking her out...with a full obstruction I knew she had days left and the only thing I could do was keep her comfortable ... there needs to be a better plan in place for people who have bad episodes at the weekends ... howcome there is no other macmillan nurse to turn to from a friday evening? my particular macmillan nurse I left msg after msg with from the friday before and she finally turned up a week later the fri the day my mom died? I would say you have to have someone willing to fight your corner for you someone who isnt afraid to stand up and shout ... on one occasion over moms last few days I had nipped outside for 5 minutes of fresh air and the district nurse had lain my mom on her back ... mysis come running outside crying saying u have to come see they wont listen to me...I ran in they'd lain her flat, I was furious, this is a big no no with someone with a full obstruction and distention .. so she aspirated into her lungs striaght away ... I raised the roof and the nurses just ran and did what I asked ... relatives 'be firm' you know your loved one better than the nurse, don't always assume they know better than you, they don't.. of course by that point damage was done .. I often wonder if they did it deliberately to help mom on her way...I'll never know I guess...but I think I had a lot of idiots ... also be aware if you go down the route of syringe drivers some meds shouldnt be put in the same driver as others .. I overheard the macmillan nurse telling a district nurse off as moms meds that helped her secretions and had been given to help her partial obstruction was put in with her sickness drug and the 2 don't mix well which can lessen the effects of both drugs..which helped me understand how she had been needing more and more of her levomapromazine ... but could this have contributed to her full obstruction? All I know is she was furious with the nurse and mom had had these 2 drugs in the same driver for 5 weeks .. double check everything they do everything ... You know what though I doubt my mom would ever have took her own life ever she was wanting to fight on til the end .. the only thing she was afraid of was the pain she would feel ... she was no quitter and often said she would fight it to her last breath...the same spirit and strength I see on this site time and time again ... I always say never underestimate how hard your loved one will fight to stay and tell you they love you just one more time xx my mom was like that the wed before she died her eyes were flickering open on and off and she hadnt spoke all day but I tucked her in kissed her on the cheek and held her hand telling her I loved her ... my heart soared when unexpectedly she said I love you too and she managed to do that a good few times after til the friday when we got her completely under with medazelam .. its distressing that you should have to double check everything at such a difficult time but I think it just comes naturally to me and it probably will to most who are full time carers ...

Mike I think you are one of the most courageous people, you take the time out to comfort people day in day out on this site and you are a source of inspiration to all on here I can see you with your boxing gloves on with this fight you have but I reckon you will deal as you have always done facing it head on with courage and IMMENSE fortitude .....

love and hugz

marie

Hi Marie

Pleased you are bearing up after the loss of your Mum and hope your hubby is coping with the problems in his family. Thanks for your lovely remarks - you've inspired me to take advantage of some sunshine amid the showers and worse to get out with my Jack Russells for a stroll round the village! Pockets full of "Poo pouches" of course!

Sarah it is so sad that your Mam had so little time with you once she had been diagnosed, this is such a cruel disease but you can possibly take comfort that she didn't have to undergo months of misery which is always a possibility. You had time together to express your true emotions which is so valuable when looking back. How often do we hear a relative of someone who died suddenly start saying "If only I'd .........." and we are spared that by being allowed to tell all our loved ones just how much they mean to us while we are still together.

Sorry to hijack thread a little

Love and Peace

Mike

Thanks Mike,

His Nana has just had an op to remove the tumor on her bowel they say they got everything so fingers crossed .. thankyou for asking :D

hugz