looking for hope

Theresa Upton

Theresa Upton

I was diagnosed with PC and liver mets at the end of September 2018. I started chemo very quickly and had round 5 mid December. I choose to have a chemo break during the Christmas holiday because I wanted to enjoy the festivities and to be honest I haven't felt as well as I do at this present moment for a very long time. I have managed the chemo quite well and I have gained all the weight I lost prior to my diagnosis, I eat well, sleep well and apart from being tired during chemo the side effects are manageable. Whilst I was at the hospital on Thursday having my picc line cleaned I asked if a doctor could look at my stomach, its quite big and I was very worried that I might be retaining water or that my liver was getting bigger. During he examination the doctor confirmed that there was no signs of water retention and she could only just feel my liver suggesting that my liver tumours had reduced in size and the tumour on my pancreas appeared to be smaller, her conclusion from the examination and from reading my medical file/looking at previous scans was that the chemo was doing it job (I think I have just eaten and drunk to much lol) and I left the hospital on a high. There are sometimes so many upsetting stories about this particular cancer, I appreciate that it is an evil disease which will take my life at some point but I have also read that people are surviving with a diagnosis like mine for longer than the 6 to 10 months that I have been given. I would just love to hear from those people, I feel that it would offer a balance and give those of us suffering from this disease a little more hope. I will be 59 tomorrow, I am my own statistic and a very determined woman, I just need a bit more positivity to help me continue the fight. Any comments would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't offer hope but I can say Happy belated Birthday. My husband was diagnosed on the 15th Jan (his 72nd birthday!!) PC is an evil f***** ain't it! We await news of him starting chemo, I just hope and pray that once he starts we have a few months of him feeling well again x

My dad was similar to you he is still fighting they are looking for a clinical trial as he’s had lots of treatment and nothing else left but he’s don’t almost 4 years since being diagnosed so all I can say it stay positive he even works 3days a week and he’s 60 x happy birthday and enjoy it xx