Medication

Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell

Hi, 5 weeks ago my mum has been diagnosed with stage 3 Inoperable localised advanced Pancreatic Cancer.

She has been offered Gemcitabine and Abraxane chemotherapy which is due to start in about 3 weeks (pre-assessment 2 days before).

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Many thanks

I've noticed that you've started another couple of threads...its sometimes better to keep it all in the one thread, so nothing is missed. I've not heard of the supplement mentioned in one of your other threads, perhaps give the nurses on here a ring, or email them, they have a vast knowkedge and are contactable during the week.

There are some practical things you may want to think about. Firstly, your mum will be entitled to PIP payments if she is under 65 or attendance allowance if she is 65 and over...this is not means tested and is at the higher rate. She will also be entitled to a blue badge, which is really handy for hospital appointments. I would ask for a referral to the palliative care team, we weren't offered this up until just before my husband died, but they help out with all sorts of things from medication, liaising with all the medical professionals to getting any equipment you may need for mum in the future. The local hospice is also a great resource (it's not just for end of life care), they often run groups, alternative therapies, counselling and carers courses...they can also offer respite care to give carers a break.

Hope the chemo goes well.

Vx

Cathy Powell

Thank you very much for the information Veena, it's much appreciated.

Sorry about the different posts/threads, I was a bit confused which forum was best to post on.

The supplement was mentioned on a forum post I was reading on the Macmillan website. I haven't heard of it before either so thought I would ask on here as this is Pancreatic website we were recommended to look on at the hospital. I have also just emailed the lovely Jenni as well.

My mum is 69 years old. I told her about the attendance allowance benefit but she said she would not be able to get it as my father already gets it for different health issues and you can only get one lot per household. I don't know if this is correct, I was going to look into it. It would be useful for her to have her own blue badge for when my sister or I take her places as although she doesn't seem to want to go anywhere at the moment.

I will definitely look into the information you have given me, I do find it confusing sometimes of where and what to do next.

Thanks again 🙂

I don't know if you can have more than one attendance allowance per household...but yes, definitely look into that.

She'll come round a bit once the initial shock has worn off and she's got going with the chemo...I think the limbo between being diagnosed and starting treatment can be very frustrating.

Vx

Hi Cathy, sorry to hear about you Mum, just to let you know your mum will get AA its per person not per household. If you contact MacMillan they will sort out the paperwork, its is very straightforward as PC is a life limiting disease, she can also get a blue badge, which can make things easier, take care sandrax x