A forum for any other issues around pancreatic cancer

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Didge

John Hurt

Postby Didge » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:28 am

RIP John Hurt. I remember him being diagnosed one month before Rob died. It seems that more and more people are being diagnosed unless it's just being reported more? Or is it my imagination? Anyone know the statistics of whether the incidence of pancreatic cancer is on the increase?

Justamo

Re: John Hurt

Postby Justamo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 am

Lovely man and a superb actor. Every role he played was so different.

Not sure about statistics Didge, but every single headline today says the battle word. I hate it as much as I hate the journey word.

In a lot of cases, "battling" is completely inappropriate.

As you say, rest in peace Sir John.
Mo

Veema

Postby Veema » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Hmm...battle suggests a fair fight.

Perhaps we just notice the pancreatic cancer victims because we are more aware.

Sleep tight Sir John

Vx

Elaine123

Postby Elaine123 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:07 am

I think you are right Veema because every time I open a paper or a magazine I see " pancreatic cancer ". As you say I am aware of it now.
Elaine
X

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 am

I think it is a mixture of things. An aging population is seeing an increase on PC. People getting more obese etc is seeing an increase. However, I think the main thing is that breast cancer etc had such high profiles that they put the money there and so there is not so many stories as they manage the disease, rather than it being terminal. PC is fast overtaking them and with little research, it is becoming more prominent. x

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Spot on Dandy! Also, alcohol related liver failure is also a major contributor... now that women are drinking more we will see an increase in liver failure, PC and other related diseases. M x

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Damn it Marmalade... you just made me chuck away my gin! Are there any pleasures left?? xx