Oral bacteria and pancreatic cancer

HeatherDavis

Can oral bacteria increase the chance of pancreatic cancer? My grandfather had pancreatic cancer. My father had an infection in his mouth and when he consulted a dentist, he told that the count of bacteria in his mouth is more than usual. The doctor told that this can increase the risk of pancreatic cancer. We are planning to visit a dental clinic ( http://www.rootsonwhytedental.com/contact-us/ ) in Edmonton next week. What can be done to reduce the count of bacteria in the mouth? Please give some genuine replies and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum but I'm very sorry that you have need to visit here and that your grandfather has PC. I'm sure you'll find the forum a very supportive and knowledgeable place.

I am not medically qualified but I do a lot of my own research into PC as my husband has the disease. Also I'm a retired academic librarian so know where to look to get reliable information.

There have been a few recent scientific research studies looking at a possible link between PC and oral bacteria/periodontal disease and they have found evidence that this link exists. But the scientists don't seem to know yet whether the oral bacteria causes PC or PC causes oral bacteria.

I'm afraid I have no idea what (if anything) can be done to reduce the count but I would think that the dental clinic can advise.

I appreciate this is a very upsetting and worrying time for you and wish you and your family all the very best.

W&M x

I've read about this. I would say the that the link is casual, meaning that bacteria doesn't cause pancan or vice versa, but people who are more prone to oral bad bacteria are more prone to pancan because of some kind of immune system link.

Oral bacteria can be tackled by regular and correct brushing after meals i.e. three times a day brushing teeth and gums, flossing or using small specially designed dental brushes to remove debris from cracks and crevices between teeth and using mouthwash and toothpaste such as Corsodyl which kills bacteria and puts a coating over the teeth and gums. Some mouthwashes are only cosmetic, they smell nice but don't kill bacteria.

Some bacteria are good and yoghurt and other probiotics increase the numbers of good bacteria in the mouth so once you are on top of the problem it may be wise to drop out the mouth wash, use ordinary toothpaste and increase the probiotics in the diet. Just a thought.

Bacteria love sugar so eating a diet which removes harmful sugars such as are found in fizzy drinks and cordials, biscuits cakes and sugary snacks will help as will not eating between meals. That way the sugars will be brushed and rinsed away.

I hope this helps,

Marmalade