Cyberknife

Kaye 19

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Kaye,

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for your enquiry about Cyberknife.

I will email you directly as it is a bit long to post on the forums.

Kind regards,

Jeni, Support Team.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Could you please tell me a little bit more about this new technology called "Cyberknife"?

Thanks!

Edited by Fight1t

Hi Fight1t,

Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry that you find yourself here.

Cyberknife is a new form of radiotherapy.

I've grabbed the following from the PCUK fact sheet on radiotherapy https://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/media/746479/radiotherapy-factsheet-2015.pdf

-----------------

"Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy

Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) is a new type of radiotherapy. It’s also known as stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT). You may have heard of Cyberknife®, which is a type of SABR. SABR is not available for pancreatic cancer on the NHS, but it may be available as part of a clinical trial.

SABR delivers a higher dose of radiotherapy at each treatment. Because the dose is higher, you will usually only need three to five treatments over one to two weeks. However, each treatment session will take longer than other types of radiotherapy. It is important that this treatment is carried out very accurately. This is to reduce the risk of damage to healthy tissues from the high dose of radiation.

Some research has suggested that SABR may be effective in helping to control pancreatic cancer. But there is no evidence to show that it is more effective than other types of radiotherapy. It may be more convenient because you will need fewer treatments. But there is a risk of damage to the stomach or bowel from the high dose of radiation, which could cause side effects. We need more research into SABR for pancreatic cancer.

Speak to your doctor about whether SABR might be suitable for you, and if there are any trials you can take part in."

------------------

I hope this helps.

W&M x

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi kaye,

It's a robotic radiosurgery successfully used around the globe for treating tumors, cancer patients. The success rate of technology is very high and encouraging. hope this information help