A forum for any other issues around pancreatic cancer

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sandraW

Re: Love of my life, has secondary cancer

Postby sandraW » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Martine, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum, Allen sounds like my husband, Trevor, he has until this week sailed through his treatment, but this week he was quite unwell. I hope the doctors can get Allen's pain sorted, its so scary isn't it, watching our poor husbands got through all this. take care sandrax

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Sandra,
I know, it breaks my heart to watch him in pain, he keeps telling me it's just uncomfortable but you just know, and from Allen never being sick before to this even though he looks well it's like a waiting time bomb, I'm a basket case, I cry on my own, I then run around cleaning like a mad woman, the smallest thing annoys me, I need to direct my anger at something, I blame god for this, then I ask him to help, your just all over the place with this hateful decease,
Xxxxxxx

SusannaUK

Postby SusannaUK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 pm

Hello Martine,

I hope they will find out the cause of Allen's back pain. It is just so terrible to watch our loved ones like this. When you are there but you cannot help. Awful! It must be hard because you've got two different opinions from consultants and it is so confusing. I really hope that they will find out what's going on.
We are in a similar situation now. My husband has unbearable pain, he is on painkiller anyway 24/7. He also takes paracetamol 4 times a day, plus Oxycodone slow release tablets and Oxynorm liquid. Just to write this down was too much.
Has Allen got pain only at his back? Or abdominal/stomach too? Which part of the back? My husband has pain just around where his kidneys are and in the front around his stomach. He calls it "sandwich pain". It means that the two places are like connected and it's like a tube. He will have CT scan next week. As I understood well Allen already had a CT scan it showed no changes. Ohhh, I really don't know. I think sometimes even the doctors don't know either exactly what causes the pain...
I hope it will be sorted out quickly.
Take care,
Susanna xxx

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 am

Hi Sandra,
Yea it's like your Trevor,
It's in the same place like a sandwich, he has another scan in November, we started to think is it the B17 giving him the cramps, don't know, I'm going to phone the GP today and get stronger painkillers,
My heart is breaking, but you just have to get on with it, I'm a childminder so at this minute he is asleep in bed and I have 5 kids here with me 3 under 3, two going yo school lol my own children r in universary so I have to keep my head straight, and do the normal every day thing

Thanks Sandra for your ears
I'm away to school talk later xxxxx

alison vickerman

Postby alison vickerman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi martene I havnt been on this site long my 40 year old husband had a tumour removed 4 weeks ago today from his pancreas ot all happened so quickly we are waiting for hit results any day now to find out if it was cancerous or not hes recovering well ots such a terrible disease I wish you and your family well from alison

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Alison, I hope and pray your husband gets clear results, it's a long time to wait for results, my Allens pancreas was clear, he had cancer of the bile duct, but I think it all comes under the same umbrella, his was found very early and quick he was admitted into hospital on 16th September 2012 diagnosed on 25th, and had a full whipples operation on 17th October, I think it must depend on where you live, on how and quick you get treated, we live in Belfast and only 1mile from the hospital, and its the only one that did this type of surgery in the country,

I hope you get good news very soon (4weeks is to long to wait)
❤️❤️❤️❤️

Ruthos1

Postby Ruthos1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I last posted on here last November when my mum was getting inconclusive biopsy results .
After a lot of ups and downs and told she did have cancer then didn't and now does , took a lot for us to handle.
She is such a courageous lady and an inspiration.
I live in Corfu and travel backwards and forwards.
Despite having very little appetite, the pain is under control with slow release morphine and she enjoys her life, despite being told in February that she had weeks to live.
Who knows how quickly 'things ' will progress but for the time being we are making the most of our time together.

Lots of love , positive energy to all of you and your loved ones.

Ruth

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:26 am

Hi everyone, well allen has been I really bad pain for a while, pain killers were lasting about 2 hours, he then swelled up and his hands broke out in itchy blisters, got him to the GP who said it was the codeine, I had my self convinced there was more turmors growing, GP had his blood results from oncologists and said they were great, leaving me totally confused, so what is causing the pain, they didn't know, I ask the chemist for his strongest painkiller without paracetamol in it, he give me volterol, 1every 4-6 hours, Allen started them on Friday it's now Sunday and he is nearly pain free as long as he takes the meds, so praying that it is just muscular, scan again on 3 nov will know more around 24th

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi, sorry to hear Allen has been in pain. You should be getting painkillers from your GP! Have you got a McMillan nurse? They are fab at controlling the pain and making sure everything you are entitled or need is in place.

Julia x

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi Julie, no we don't have a Macmillian nurse, even though Allen is terminal, he looks and acts very healthy, we have his back pain sorted looks like it was inflammatory, so he's on voltorle, it's scary, but we r living life to the full, just booked Newyork and a Caribbean cruise for Friday last minute, we r kicking cancers ass lolol

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Martine, glad to hear Allen is in less pain now, have a really great holiday, you both certainly deserve it, take care sandrax

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Good for you Martine, have a wonderful time. We were debating about going away for next week, wondering if we should spend the money, and then when we heard about Lynda Bellingham's death yesterday we thought what the heck, who knows how long we have? Just off for a week in the New Forest, no where near exciting as your trip, but it's just nice to get away and do things as a family.
Best wishes,
Nikki

SusannaUK

Postby SusannaUK » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Martine,

It's good to hear that Allen is in much less pain now. Have a wonderful holiday for you two and enjoy every minutes!

Love,
Susanna xxx

knutsford4

Postby knutsford4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:49 am

Haven't been in in a while hope everyone is doing good, soooo, allen got CT results on Monday his tumor has grown from 3cm to 4.2 in 2 months, doc putting him on Oxaliplatin with fluorouracil and folinic acid chemo ( FOLFOX or OxMdG) has any one got and advice on this it's every 2 weeks for 4 months the folfox is attached to him for 48 hours
I'm so scared xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Yes that is what my man is on and he's tolerating it well! He has a port in his chest for it and that doesn't seem to cause problems either. And the scan results have just come in and are good. x