Eric Ollerenshaw MP on Radio 5 Live

cestrian

Hi All

Eric Ollerenshaw the MP for Fleetwood and Lancaster sadly recently lost Michael his partner of over 35 years to Pancreatic Cancer. As an MP he feels that he is in a good position to draw attention to the lack of progress in the diagnosis and treatment of of Pancreatic Cancer.

He was on the Steven Nolan show at around 12.30 a.m. this morning and attempted to use this platform to publicise the problems faced by anyone suffering from this cruel illness but was shamelessly sidetracked by Nolan who seemed more interested in probing his relationship with his recently deceased partner. Obviously thought to be of more interest to his audience as Eric was probably one of the earlier Members of Parliament to openly reveal his sexuality and the fact that he was in a long term, loving and committed relationship with Michael over many years. He was patently discomfited by Nolan's line of questioning but did not react adversely and answered the questions posed in the gentlemanly way one might expect of an ex History teacher. Nevertheless it was clear that he felt hi-jacked and I was incensed at his treatment during the programme where he was denied the opportunity to make his intended points about Pancreatic Cancer. Nolan should be ashamed of himself for denying us this chance of additional publicity for our campaign for the sake of sensationalism.

Love and Peace

Mike

Hi Mike, that sounds terrible! Typical of some journalists. Are gay relationships even news these days. Another opportunity lost.

I should point out Eric lost his partner 4 years ago (not that it makes a difference).

Julia x

Thanks Julia

From the emotion he seemed to be trying to suppress and the general tone of the interview I thought his loss was much more recent but thanks for the heads up. I suppose today the news could be any relationship lasting 35 years, though Jo and I are coming up to 47 years in March (and that doesn't include our 4 years' courtship)!

Love and Peace

Mike

Hi MIke,

It incenses me that not only did he hijack this interview to sensationalise his relationship but took the listeners away from the main topic..the sheer disrespect he had for this poor guy who was grieving his long loved partner .. my god ... why is this still news? My daughter was in a same sex relationship for 9 years and it never ceased to amaze me at the sheer bigotry she got day in day out for her choice of partner .. if I listened to this guy before I'm damned sure I wouldnt listen to him now .. absolutely ridiculous.. 47 years married as well MIke well done ... same as my mom and dad