Sent APPG Recording to my MP

J_T

I sent my MP, Tim Farron, this recording

with a note to listen specifically from 24.50 mins with particular attention to the comments at about 25.38 re European directives which quite shocked me.

This is the response I got:

Dear Julia

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to the low level of funding for research into pancreatic cancer.

I offer my deepest sympathy because I have endured similar grief, when my wife’s mum was taken by the same affliction at a similar age. I have contacted our expert MEP on this subject and received the following explanation: -

“Before going into any of the specific details of the proposed Clinical Trials Regulation, Cancer Research UK have had a lot of input into the negotiations and they are happy with the proposal of the European Commission as well as the position adopted by Parliament.

The problem raised in that lecture is a problem created by the existing legislation, which the new legislation will hopefully address. The old legislation is so complicated that only the biggest pharmaceuticals companies can really proceed with clinical trials. The new legislation is designed to be simpler, to allow more academic trials to take place, and for one set of rules to apply across Europe to allow more multi-state trials to take place (increasingly needed for rare diseases).”

In spite of the poor record to date, I sense that the EU is really trying to push ahead with creating a research and innovation environment to help develop new treatments for diseases like Pancreatic Cancer. I am only sad that this has not come sooner for the sake of you and my wife.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

Tim Farron MP