A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
KeithKerry

Re: My mum - Stage 4 PC with liver mets

Postby KeithKerry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Dee123 wrote:

> That is good news about your daughter and her scan results. Is she continuing with
> chemotherapy after the scan results or does she get a break in between? The doctor's
> haven't mentioned what the plan is for my mum after the scan in November. Although
> the doctor originally said she can continue on the treatment indefinitely. I hope
> your daughter is continuing to do so well and we hear even more good news in the
> future.

Hi Dee123

At the moment we're not quite sure what is happening next. At the last Oncologist appointment a couple of weeks ago there was talk of a possible treatment break. My Daughter has finished the last cycle and had a staging scan earlier this week. We have learned during this last few months that a new cycle does not start until we've had an appointment with an Oncologist to see how well she is coping with the treatment. When there is a staging scan involved as well a 'break' from chemotherapy can be 2-3 weeks instead of the usual 1 week whilst the imaging report comes back and a follow-up appointment is set up.

This time things are little off kilter as these last two scans have been quite close together in terms of time. So, we're back in the land of 'scanxiety', and even though common sense dictates that given the results of the previous scan on top of tumour markers which were essentially still normal 2 weeks ago, that little worm of fear and doubt that I guess we all have tucked away in the corner of our minds is having none of it.

I hope things go well with your Mum Dee. As a family we're still relatively new to all this (started in March this year) but we have learned a lot and if I can help in any way by relating our experiences to you then I will do so with great willingness.

Onward and upward

Dandygal76

Re: My mum - Stage 4 PC with liver mets

Postby Dandygal76 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 am

Hey Dee, I am signing off now but do not give up any nausea / sickness until you try the expensive and elusive Emend (the nausea may increase as chemo carries on). They will do everything else first (naturally) but when I said to dad's trial.. time for Emend the doctor actually smiled and then prescribed it. It was a game changer. You will not get there though until you try the rest but you may be able to accelerate it with knowledge. DG