A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Quickasyoucan

Re: Thanks for sharing your experiences . . .

Postby Quickasyoucan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Mo so great to hear Peter continues to enjoy life. Your posts are a ray of sunshine. X

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 am

Middle of the night greetings Mo! Glad to hear about the golf. And the tennis! Still getting used to Wimbledon starting a week later so that my birthday this Friday will be men's semi finals day, not that I'm complaining. My daughter's wedding is in 2 weeks and I've still not sorted out the music I'm playing then a week later I'm organising a music weekend in Canterbury and I'm short of a cellist so if anyone knows an amateur cellist feel free to speak up! Love to everyone in our crazy tough pc world x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 am

Mo,
I am so glad you have had an "ordinary day" may you have many more, good to hear Peter managed his round so well and that you did such a wonderful job with organisation, you more that deserved the garden voucher I am sure. sending love to you both and of course Boris too.
take care sandrax xx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you ever so much for making me cry Mo, much appreciated!!!!!!

I think it was your comment about just being happy with an ordinary day. I know exactly what you mean. When you have good days, it's like all your christmasses coming at once. I remember my hubby sitting in the garden of a local pub, drinking a coke (he didn't touch alcohol after diagnosis) in the late afternoon sun, a few weeks before he died. He was struggling to walk by then and we were debating whether he should have any more treatment after just one cycle of gem/abraxane which was a 2nd line treatment almost finished him off. He was just so very happy to be sitting in the fresh air doing what normal people did. He told his oncologist he'd forgotten what a normal day could be. Whilst the decision was taken out of his hands with a rapid decline, it just made us realise that quality was far more important than quantity.

I aim now for what my son and I call "an acceptable day". Simply put, a good day is a bonus. I think that applies to both sides of the divide. My hubby and I had 9 really good months out of his 14 and for that I'm so so grateful. It's helped. I hate to think how I'd be coping if we'd been robbed of that like so many have.

I'm so pleased the tournament went well. You put so much effort into it and must now be exhausted. I hope you can find some "me" time. The gift voucher was a lovely gesture. I know you will have such fun using it. I'm sorry but you did make me laugh out loud with your BOGOF comment, it shows your strength of character that laugh in the face of adversity.

Long may your ordinary days continue. Create memories, take as many videos and photos as you can and live for the day.

Lots of love to you, Peter and Boris xx

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Mo,

So glad you have had a good week and don't you fret one bit about being smug. You are spot on with the good times being very special and I can't tell you how pleased I am that you are having this "ordinary" time together. That Peter is so well is due in no small part to your excellent care.

Good old Boris, he's got his priorities sorted out and sometimes it does us all good to stop thinking too much and just take pleasure in simple things.

Lovely to hear from you Mo,

Marmalade xxxx

PS am making marmalade this evening with from oranges - on my second batch. I've got to get them out of the freezer as my house is going into store in a couple of weeks!

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:33 pm

I took your tip about freezing the surplus Seville oranges, and every time I open my freezer I get the scent of orange groves ! Lovely !

Hope the storage and all the associated nitty gritty is not too traumatic. Your whole life ends up in black plastic bags . . . Good luck with it all Marmalade.

X

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Tuesday 11th July : "We have lots of appointments for scans and oncology clinics and stuff, but today was alright and I hope tomorrow will be too. "

Well, tomorrow wasn't OK. On waking on Wednesday, My Patient vomited noisily and copiously for about 15 minutes, mostly in the bathroom. Afterwards he felt floppy and weak, and spent the day lying down in front of the telly and directing operations at Wimbledon. Which is probably why Murray lost. He's been gloomy ever since. Not because of Murray, but because he feels he has taken a step back in his recovery. Peter thinks that now he's completed his chemotherapy and the subsequent scan showed the tumour to be stable, he is going to Get Better. And I'm not going to rain on his parade.

He hadn't eaten anything strange, his blood sugar was a bit high, and has been erratic ever since, but as his appetite is a bit erratic too, that's understandable. His temperature has stayed normal and there is no evidence of rigours. We'll mention it to the GP next week, but he seems OK today and demolished a large plate of salmon with vegetables and rice this evening.

The only possible reason for the sickness that I can see is because I was so smug about having a good day on Tuesday.

That'll learn me.

Didge

Postby Didge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:06 am

This disease has so many twists and turns, many of them puzzling. But anyone who can devour a large meal is in a relatively good place on this journey. Is he in a watch and wait period now? Or is he just having a break from chemo with a planned restart? I do hope he enjoys the men's finals today and that the correct person wins for him whoever his chosen one is! Lots of love, Didge x

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks Didge; just at present he is running the Mercedes F1 team at Silverstone and has used several new combinations of swear words at Sebastian Vettel who thinks he is p!aying bumper cars. Fortunately Hamilton and Bottas are obeying orders issued from the armchair so all bodes well at present. We're only on lap 39 at present so it will be a rush to get to Wimbledon for the men's finals.

He has completed 9 cycles of Gemcitabine and sees Dr Feelgood in September. The tumour is stable and CA19.9 markers have dropped from 135 to 36, so it's wait and see. Except for a bit of debris in his stent which caused a nasty infection and an overnight hospital stay some three weeks ago all is quiet on Planet PC at the moment. He has a scan booked for later this month so there's the possibility of a new stent in the horizon.

Did you get the musician issues sorted ? I used to be hot stuff on the recorder 65 years ago, but don't suppose that's much help. Marmalade is brilliant on the ukelele but she's probably got it in storage now pending her house move.

Love, Mo x

Didge

Postby Didge » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Ah Rob lived close to Silverstone and was an F1 fanatic. It would be his birthday tomorrow. Glad everything seems calm right now. I never found a cellist so we will probably have to manage without. I think someone is actually bringing a ukulele x