Fluid build up

Carterscare

Carterscare

Hi there - my first time posting so fingers crossed this works!! My mum was diagnosed in November last yeAr with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and it had spread into her liver so no chance of operation. Had some chemo ( was on a trial of abraxine and gem) but reacted severely to this so stopped after 2 sessions. She has been getting weaker as not been eating and stomach became very distended over last 2 weeks and very dehydrated so we took her to the hospital at the weekend. She is now much weaker and has so much fluid in her (had lots of iv fluid due to dehydration and very low blood pressure ) that it is now very uncomfortable for her to even lie down - she says she feels like she is being stretched out . On top all this she is also constipated so they are trying to sort this out as a priority. We don't seems to get a straight answer out of any of the doctors and we are currently taking every day at a time. I would love to hear from anyone who has had/is having a similar experience as I need to know what to expect - is the fluid our biggest risk or could this be due to constipation???

Hello! I think ascites (fluid build up in the abdominal cavity) can often be drained which gives relief, if this is the fluid you refer to. I do hope they make your mum as comfortable as possible. As to what to expect, I think we all wish for that but no 2 paths are the same and you have to take one day at a time and try not to think too much into the future, worrying about what will happen. Do let us know how you get on. x

Are the hospital putting a drain in to get rid of the ascites! My dad had a drain put in and that helped immensely, relieved all the stretching feeling. All you can do is take each day at a time.x

Hi a couple of weeks ago my mum was dehydrated and ended up in the hospice for a week and then the general hospital for a week! She had fluid/bile drained from her stomach for 4 days and then a new stent re inserted. This has made a huge difference for the time being! Mum was also constipated and was given a powder drink 2 or 3 times a day, I can't remember what it was called.

Has your mum had a x Ray of the stomach and a CT scan? Sometimes you have to be very pushy and speak up for them!

Everyone is different and I don't think anyone knows what to expect this disease is relentless! Try and stay positive and take each day at a time. Easier said than done I know.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Love Sue x

The powder is probably movicol or laxido. Jonathan had a similar problem and he had an x-ray and ultra sound (I think) to see if there was a blockage. She needs an abdominal exam as a minimum. And if the fluid is making her uncomfortable then they can drain it - she'd probably need an ultra sound first to check but you could ask for one of those.

I hope she feels more comfortable soon. I know from when Jonathan had constipation how awful it was.

Good luck

Cathy xx