Advice needed - Stomach looks bloated & heartburn

Annie14

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a swollen stomach and heartburn? Jim has come home feeling hot & unwell. Along with feeling sick he has a swollen stomach and heartburn. Sounds as if there is a build up of some kind. Has anyone else experienced this? He has gone to try sleep it off and speak to nurses in morning but I just wanted to double check. After all - you guys know as much / more about this cancer than most GP's

Xxxx

He couldn't sleep so called nurses and they've sent him to the cancer centre he attends! Fingers crossed it's just something that needs drained.

Hi Annie,

Don't have any advice for you sadly.

Just didn't want to leave your post ignored. I really hope it isn't anything serious. From what I have read on here in previous posts, sounds like it could be a build up of fluid. How is Jim feeling in himself?

Please keep posted fingers crossed for you both.

Leila xx

Hi Fiona,

Paul has a distended stomach on and of, and they put that to a combination of adhesions from surgery, build up of gas caused by bacteria as a result of the chemo, and at times the cancer itself making his bowel "sticky". They have never found fluid when they scan, but I know others here have had fluid drained which has made them feel better.

Good idea to get it checked out, especially as he feels unwell, hope it is nothing, let us know how you get on when you have a chance,

Nikki

Hi,

Thank you so much for your replies. He's been hooked up to antibiotics as they think it's an infection but have taken bloods so we will know for sure in the morning. He was sick for the first time ever since diagnosis & that's made him feel much better so hopefully that was the pain in his stomach just needing relieved.

xxx

Glad to hear he is feeling better, those antibiotics should kick in quickly and help too. Hope you manage to get some rest Fiona!

Nikki

Pleased to hear he is feeling better.

From your post, you seem to be feeling a bit better as well. Which is so important. Please let us know how he is tomorrow.

Leila xx

Aww thanks for thinking of me! I'm much more relaxed thank you. Had to have two injections in my metatarsals today for a silly little foot injury but they were really painful and was desperately waiting for Jim to get home from golf so he could take over with daughter & I could put feet up with some ice. Didnt expect him to come home feeling unwel. He's always so well I just take it for granted - I reckon he just wanted a night in hospital so he didn't have to hear me moan about my injections ;-) he knows me well!!!!

Not sure if it helps, but the comment about feeling better after being sick rang bells with me. I am occasionally sick if I am not careful what I eat during the first week of my 'Fox' cycle (especially bwteen days 3 - 6). I get 'Delay Gastric Emptying' (Gastroparesis), where the food does not move from the stomach to the Duodenum. The symptoms are weak, so I a never really sure when it is happening until I am suddenly sick, sometimes bringing up a full day's food, but feeling absolutely fine again afterwoods. Our main weapon against this is blended meals for a few days which works well until I see something I really fancy and think it will but fine, but that does not always work! There is anti-sickness medication (Metolcolpramide) which works by specifically targetting this problem

I hope this is of some use to you (or somebody).

Steve

X

Thank you for the info Steve - really interesting and I'll let Jim know.

He is still in hospital on the antibiotic drip as the think its an infection most likely caused by blockage to bile duct. He isn't jaundiced at all but does have pain in that area. I'd be grateful if anyone has experienced this before and has info on their treatment / recovery

Hi I know you have not gone jaundice we did and had a blockage to bile duct and pain in that area, we had a stent put in (few complications with us but remember everybody is different)but once everything sorted beloved came round his stomach was bloated this was to do with the infection we were on antibiotics for a good 4 weeks and our chemo had to be delayed, hes in the right place, Take care X

Hi Fiona,

With Paul a blocked bile duct caused jaundice and was his first symptom, he had a stent in but it became blocked again and infected, he felt pretty rough, but felt better quite quickly, good that it sounds like they caught it early. Afraid Jim might be stuck in hospital for a few days for the antibiotics, but as Wacky says he is in the right place. Hope your foot is ok Fiona, bad timing when I am sure you just want rest it!

Nikki

Good news for us. Jim should be home tomorrow as it was a case of an enlarged liver that is now

Back to normal and the infection looks to have cleared. He's feeling much better too. Eventful weekend - can't believe it's only Monday!!!!

I hope Jim is home now and starting to feel a little better, we have been away for a few days so just catching up, take care sandrax

Hi Sandra

Yes he's back home and back at work thank you. Almost as though it never happened. Chemo due tomorrow so will be interesting to see if his bloods have recovered. They don't know what caused it exactly but he recovered quickly & responded well so they don't seem too worried. I guess when you have pancreatic cancer then an infection is the least of your worries. Hope you had a nice few days away yourself xxx

That's great news, and back to work already he must be feeling better, hope the Chemo goes well tomorrow, and yes we had a lovely time, very tiring, but lovely thanks, take care sandrax