A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
wackywacky

Re: Husband newly diagnosed

Postby wackywacky » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 am

You are correct Christine it is horrendous, but there is no over reaction with this thing, do what you think is best you know your other half better than anyone else and if something is wrong you know. Anyway crap bit over with Happy Anniversary to you both and glad hes feeling better x

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 am

First and foremost, happy anniversary for yesterday. I did ask my Oncologist again about the tablet form ant-coagulant and the response has not really changed. With Pancreatic Cancer, Clexane has a really good track record and they remain very reluctant to move away from it. I find it difficult to argue against their logic after 16 months on it with no reoccurrence.

Great to hear they have managed to resolve the problem with the filter, though I must admit I have never heard of this procedure (no doubt Jeni and Di have).

Hope you are able to enjoy the weekend!

Steve
X

Chrisf

Postby Chrisf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Thank you everyone for your anniversary wishes. I did take in some treats last night ... but he was fast asleep!! When he woke he wasn't hungry or thirsty either but we sat out in the sun for an hour and celebrated anyway.

Cathy, he had been on the injections for a couple of weeks already and the clots still seemed to keep on coming. He's now on a higher dose, twice a day for a while until we see the haemotologist. But he came home this morning and is OK, although very tired. I read about you and Jonathan too - I'm so very sorry. How are you doing 6 months on?

Steve, thank you for the information on the oral anticoagulant. I will ask our haemotologist too when we see him, but I wouldn't want Pete to be a guinea pig with this either given the problems he's had. And the filter is not a common procedure at the hospital he was at but the radiologist who did it (who covers several hospitals) seemed to have done it many times before. Dianne has come across it too.

Also, does anyone have any tips for giving these injections other than keeping at 90 degrees and making sure you hold a roll of fat (there's not much left though)? His stomach is sore where the injections have been and is causing more pain than anything at the moment. And of course it's worse with 2 a day.

Thank you again,
Christine
x

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:23 pm

As far as the jabs go, all I can really say is the softer the flab feels, the easier they tend to be. If you can see veins, then obviously try to avoid as they hurt (you know when you hit one as the spot bleeds afterwards). I was for a while injecting in my thighs (standard procedure in German Hospitals) as my tummy was sore, but you need to take advice on where to do this.

Not much help I'm afraid, especially when losing weight/fat.

Good luck!

Steve
X

J_T

Postby J_T » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:08 am

Belated anniversary wishes from me to you both! So glad to hear the procedure went well and Pete is feeling a little better, if tired. Glad you both got to sit in the lovely sunshine and hope you soon get some treatment sorted.

You are right about Jeni and Dianne too, what would we do without them?

Best wishes

Julia

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Christine,

Glad you managed to have a little celebration. And thank you for asking after me. I'm not too bad thank you. I've been busy, friends have been great and I've also started to get involved in the charity and doing stuff for them. Mainly I've been focussed on a benefit we are putting on for PCUK in September locally.. Lots of Jonathan's friends will be performing.

Re the jabs, that sounds a bit like Jonathan as the clots reappeared but stick with it as the injections should help in time.

I think anywhere fleshy, so the thighs too as Steve suggests. Try to use a different site each time as the skin can bruise, I used to go from 1 side of Jonathan's tummy to the other (I did them for him). I got him to sit down if I could as there is more flesh then (tho he himself preferred to stand). They will become routine in no time.

All the very best

Cathy xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi Christine, Trevor hates his injection, he is on fragmin, but we make quite a joke of it, Trevor tells everyone that he started to worry when I wrote 180 on his tummy and went to the other end of the lounge, to take a good run up...... but it does do its job, Trevor only had a small clot in his arm under his PICC line and although it took a while it slowly but surely dispersed. he did try to do them himself, as he went away for a few days without me,
but it took him half an hour to build up the courage to do it. Then whilst he was on the ferry he asked the nurse to do it for him, then came home and said I was doing it all wrong,he said the nurse shot some of the liquid out to remove the bubble, and said he didn't need to pinch his tummy !!! so when I then showed him the instructions he realised, yet again, I WAS RIGHT, quite a common occurrence in our house lol.
It must be hard on your hubby having to have them twice a day, the only other thing I can suggest is a nurses uniform and stockings and suspenders that might take his mind off the injection, take care sandrax

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Cathy, WAVES, glad you are doing ok, well as ok as you can be, lovely that you are so involved helping the charity and thanks for all the support you still give on here, we all really appreciate it, take care sandrax

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Many thanks Christine for your kind comments, and Happy Anniversary!

Jeni and Dianne.

Chrisf

Postby Chrisf » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:08 pm

I haven't been able to post here for a while. Pete died two weeks ago. I have posted here http://forum.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/vi ... =26&t=1496

alison vickerman

Postby alison vickerman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 am

Hi im alison me and my husband are just turned 40 we have a 13 year old son today my husband goes into hospital for removal of half his pancreas and spleen due to a tumour he has we dont know if its cancerous or not yet but it is such a shock and im scared stiff I wish you both all the best its such a devastating thing this cancer

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 am

Just wanted to say hello to Alison and welcome. Be prepared for him to be in theatre for longer than they say, and if possible ask about an epidural for pain relief,
Hope all goes well,
Nikki

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Alison. Thinking about you and hoping the op has gone well. Is it a distal pancreatectomy? (tail of pancreas). If so this is a shorter op than the Whipples and my other half recovered really well so I hope yours does the same. Let us know how he gets on. x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Alison, hello and welcome, my husband too had a sub-total/distal pancretectomy. a year ago tomorrow, he too recovered well, so try not to worry too much. He was in the high dependency unit for 48 hours, but home 7 days after his operation, and out tidying the garden in 4 weeks, take care sandrax

alison vickerman

Postby alison vickerman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi thanks for all your messages simons opp went well his surgeon even managed to keep his spleen and simon is now homw going back tommorrow to get the drain removed then just waiting for the results from the tumour simon had a partial pancreatecomy many thanks all for your messages from alison.