Swelling after Gemcitabine?

Dollysdaughter

Dollysdaughter

My mum has had 3 chemo trts with Gemcitabine and a week off. It all went really quite well and apart from tiredness nothing too hideous. I was with her at the weekend and she seemed really well. Today she had the first of her 2nd cycle and I just called her to see how it went (I'm in Kent and she's in Yorkshire)

I spoke to her friend who said she was just being put into an ambulance as she had swelled up, including her throat, and could hardly breathe.

I now can't contact her until her friend calls to let me know what has happened so am really worried. I just wondered if this is something that anybody else has encountered?

Thanks, Sara

Sorry Sara, have no experience but didn't want your post to go unanswered. Really hoping you get a call with some better news, very soon.

Julia x

Dollysdaughter

Thanks for thinking of me Julia, it's so upsetting being so far away and therefore so useless! I try to stay for a few days every couple of weeks but it always seems I'm not there when I'm needed most. I'll let you know what happens,

Sara x

Just to let you know Sara Im thinking of you and your mum. My husband has had two cycles of gemcitabine and he gets fluey symptoms the day of the chemo. Aching joints etc.

I hope your mums friend phones soon.

love jayne

Hi Sara,

It sounds like your Mum was perhaps having a reaction to something, and you can react to pretty much any drug, but hopefully it is something they can sort out easily. Really hoping you have had news by now and she is feeling better. It must be horrible for you, feeling helpless so far away,

Best wishes,

Nikki

Hi Sara

I am on the same as your mum three weeks on and one week off, I am on my fifth cycle, I have had the flu like symptoms and some swelling of the tummy at times with a little pain, but nothing too bad, I too am from kent and my sister is in Yorkshire, I am trying to get a support group together, if you would like more info let me know. Hope your mum is ok, they will get to the bottom of it try not to worry

Regards Jane x

Dollysdaughter

Thanks so much everyone for your lovely, thoughtful replies, so reassuring. Her friend just called to say she has been admitted into hospital so hopefully they are taking good care of her,

Sara x

Dollysdaughter

Hi Jayne, thanks for thinking of us. She was admitted last night but i spoke to her at lunchtime and she still hadn't been seen by the doctor. I despair!!

She sounds really "down" but at least I think she has stabilised now and can breathe properly again.

Sara x

Hi Sara

I can imagine how worried you are. Any news? It does sound like a reaction to something, not necessarily the chemo and i would have thought that they ought to be able to treat her to bring the swelling down if it is a reaction. Let us know how you get on

Cathy xx

Dollysdaughter

Thanks Cara and Cathy. Just spoke to mum and she sounded very "drugged up" which is probably a good thing for her at the moment. Hopefully she will be able to get some sleep. Still no doctor and nobody has told her what may be wrong which is a bit rubbish but I just hope they can see her in the morning and put her mind at rest a bit.

Sara x

Just catching up and so sorry to hear you still have no answers! You must be so worried. Really hope your mum is getting some rest and hoping you get some news tomorrow.

Julia x

Dollysdaughter

Mum is now home, she feels pretty awful and sounds really low but hopefully will feel better tomorrow. Thanks for all your lovely messages of support, much appreciated ,

Sara x

Very glad to hear you mum is home and ok. A couple of nights in hospital would make anyone feel awful! I am sure she will feel better after a night in her own bed,

Nikki

Dollysdaughter

You were right Nikki! Just spoke to mum and she sounded much more chirpy this morning. I feel like I can breathe again now! Thanks again for your support,

Sara x

Dollysdaughter

Thanks Jayne, she's very nervous about next chemo session on Tuesday but otherwise feeling much better I think. Hope you and your husband are getting on ok,

Sara x

• 5 weeks later...