Honey!

Dollysdaughter

Dollysdaughter

Just a quick, practical post. We recently discovered Lifemel honey which I'm sure everybody who is interested in natural ways of healing is familiar with. My mum swears it is helping her so whether it is actually doing anything medically beneficial or not doesn't really matter! The problem is it's nearly £40 for a very small jar but just wanted to say I have found an international supplier for £20, yay! People may already know this and I'm behind the times but just thought I'd mention it in case anybody wants the details

Good to share hon - no pun intended. The retail therapy is familiar. When getting a medical degree and curing cancer isn't an option anything you can get/do that helps, helps.

Take care!

Sarah

XXX

Do you find this better than manuka (sp?) honey? Supposed to be great for immune system and health and that's only £4.90 ish from aldi. Grade 10+ X

Dollysdaughter

Hi, apparently it specifically targets white blood cell count to an even stronger effect than manuka. If it's good enough for Sally from Corrie(who recommended it) it's good enough for us (haha!)

Who knows if that's true or a load of rubbish but it makes mum feel like she is doing something positive so that's just fine.

Thanks though and take care,

Sara x

• 1 month later...

hi

I would be interested in getting this for my brother, can you say what the website is? My only concern is that i read somewhere cancer feeds on sugar and have no idea if this is correct? And also if any one else has any info to share on natural products would be most welcome.

Many thanks and love

Hi Mojo

There are many different views on nutrition and cancer treatment - some of which are doubtful with little research evidence and others which have quite a lot if research support. The NHS does not consider nutrition to be a significant consideration in treatment. In the US a high proportion of cancer centres have a nutritionist as an integral team member. You need to read some of the information and make a decision for yourself. Have a look at the penny brohn centre website and cancer active - these names may get removed by the moderators so I am happy to send them to you separately. The Penny Brohn centre is in Bristol and supports a sugar free, minimal/no dairy approach. They suggest lots of replacements. Cancer active developer supports a rainbow diet which is much the same as the Mediterranean style diet that is considered a good life style choice. Most advocate no processed foods, good fats, organic produce (meat and veg and fruit) and wholefoods - not rocket science, just good food. Honey is an interesting one though - it has a more basic make up than refined sugar but it's GI index is still high. Agave nectar has a lower GI index but without the healing/superfood label. You need to decide what you think as many disagree. It gets very confusing when you start investigating this area. Cancer Research UK has recently put out an email detailing the 10 myths about cancer treatment and some of the beliefs about food having a supportive role in treatment are listed amongst these myths. Sugar is identified as being much more complex an issue than simply excluding it from a diet would imply. I think you can find this list on their website so it's worth checking it out. They also list the people and centres to be wary of - Cancer Active and Penny Brohn Centre are not on this list so I think this is at least saying that they are not considered by the conventional medics to be charlatans! Most medics acknowledge that nutrition is not a major feature of their training although some have taken a special interest and acquired greater skills and knowledge.

another sure if this is helpful but just some thoughts after I have done extensive reviewing of all I can find for my sister. We have taken what I hope is a sensible approach and focused on good, wholesome food, organic wherever possible and avoided empty calories in favour of more substantial, nutritionally complex foods so that she has gained good nutrients even when she eats very little. We are not sure if this has achieved anything more than would have been achieved had she eaten ice cream and white bread all the way through treatment but we have at least felt that we are contributing something to the fight against this awful disease.

Lisa

• 2 months later...

Hi.

My dad wants to try Manuka honey. Could someone please tell me what strength to get, and where I can buy it from please? I don't care how much, but he wants me to take it for him on Sunday.

Thank you in advance.

Leila xx

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi Leila,

I am wondering how your father is considering taking the Manuka honey. From my experience we used it quite frequently in wounds, and this is still the case now, that it is shown to be very good for use in infected or so called 'sloughy' wounds with dressings on top to improve healing, this is a special formulation for wounds. It may be worth asking a local pharmacy about this, and their recommendations, ie strength and their advise as I am sure they would have experience with this. Having just done a very quick 'search' I believe it may be available from some supermarkets, and you may find that it is in your local 'health food supplier' ie likes of Holland and Barratt. Is he considering taking it with hot drinks or otherwise?

Dianne

Support Team

His sister took him round a article this morning about someone that was in the same position, with diarrhoea, as my dad. She had Manuka Honey and she improved no end. Personally, I don't think it will make a difference. If proper medication can't help. He wants to try though, and so I will get some. I am seeing him Sunday and he wants it for then. I have looked at Holland and Barrett and will try there in the morning. I think he is just going to have two teaspoons straight, as far as I could make out.

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Thanks Leila,

Fine, will be interesting to hear how it goes, do let us know and good for other forum members, certainly Manuka honey has been shown to have some amazing qualities as we know, so it would be great if it does make a difference. Also, you may find on the 'instructions' on the bottle that it may have a recommended dose as well.

Look forward to hearing any results Leila.

Dianne

I have just called Holland and Barrett and they have some in stock.

I will definitely post an update. I think my dad will soon let me know what he thinks of it!

Leila xx

Dollysdaughter

The honey I mentioned initially is called Lifemel and it was recommended by a tv doctor! Its supposed to boost immunity etc during chemotherapy treatments. I have no idea how good it is but my mums blood cell count etc has remained very healthy throughout so who knows if its the honey or would have been ok anyway? All I know is taking it makes her feel better!