A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Fifi

Re: So apparently my father has cancer now.

Postby Fifi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Sorry I am late replying to this. I had to reply, you so sound like myself. I too have borderline personality disorder. Me and my dad are also extremely close. We are very alike, so I guess we both know how to handle each other. My parents divorced when I was 5 and I always lived with my mum, when I hit 21, I spent most of my time with my dad, we did everything together. My dad has very recently been diagnosed and it has completely broken me. I share the same feelings as you, and my heart pulled reading your post. I wish I could say something to help, but I know nothing will. I am thinking about you and your dad, and if you want to contact me to talk, then please feel free.
I prayed and prayed that my dads cancer could be operable, but no such look. What breaks me the most is seeing his face, his sadness at what is to come. When he tells me he doesn't want to leave me, and that all he wants is "someone to save his life".
Will stop now. I sincerely send you my thoughts.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi Persephonee/Hi Leila,

If you want to get in touch with one another, then let me know, at support@pancreaticcacner.org.uk and I can arrange to swop emails.

Please don't post personal information on the forums.

Many thanks,

Jeni, Support Team.

Persephone Hazard

Postby Persephone Hazard » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

So dad has been in and out of hospital ever since his diagnosis, pretty much; he kept on getting jaundiced again. He's now had four endoscopies, three ERCPs and two stents - and the jaundice just wouldn't go away properly - so there's been no chemo, no treatment. He was diagnosed before Christmas, but they've not been able to start treatment yet. He's lost a lot of weight and he's been at least very slightly jaundiced permanently for months and months.

On Sunday he collapsed in the street and had to be taken into hospital in an ambulance. He was in so much pain, and having trouble breathing; I rushed over there as soon as I heard, of course, and I'd never *seen* him so bad. They did a load of tests yesterday, and now we have a verdict: he has a couple of very bad pulmonary embolisms, huge blood clots in his lungs.

They can be fatal themselves, and they're hard to treat in people who already have cancer, and they prevent them lessening the jaundice which is getting worse again - which means they can't start chemo yet again.

This is just getting worse and worse.

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear about you Dad's problems, thinking of you sandrax

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:03 pm

So very sorry to read this.
What is going to happen now? Can he go home?

xx

InfoForMum

Postby InfoForMum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 am

How terrifying for you both, I hope they manage to stabilise your Dad so you have at least a little while to gather yourselves. So sorry persephone.

Persephone Hazard

Postby Persephone Hazard » Fri May 02, 2014 10:07 pm

They stabilised the embolisms, and then the jaundice came back, and then there was an infection, and then he went into septic shock...

Now it turns out that it has spread - to his lungs and to his liver. Today they said that no chemo is going to be possible. The cancer is untreatable. At the oncologist's best guess, he's got 2-6 months to live.

I feel like my world is caving in.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 pm

I am so sorry. You have both not had a break with this.

Just remember, it's just a guess.

How is your dad? Is he home? Is he coping?

xx

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat May 03, 2014 9:47 am

I am so sorry to hear this too.

Is your Dad still in hospital?

Is the local palliative care team or Macmillan nurses involved?. They could help get a bed in a hospice or a hospital bed at home if that is what your Dad wanted and sort out meds for symptom control.

I hope you are getting good support yourself.

Take care

Cathy xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 am

So sorry to hear about your Dad's problems, take care sandrax