What can I feed my mum?

pol61

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about meals for a pancreatic cancer patient.

My mum was diagnosed a couple of months ago, and after an unsuccessful attempt at a Whipple she has now bravely decided not to have any more treatment.

She is doing well, and not in any pain, but she has terrible trouble digesting her food, and I want to make her meals that are light and easy on her tummy.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance x

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Hi pol61,

Thanks for joining the forum, and sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. I am sorry that she was unable to undergo the Whipples operation, and I am presuming that maybe she had a bypass operation. Firstly, the most important question is whether your mother has been prescribed any pancreatic enzyme replacement medications - these are taken with food to replace the pancreatic enzyme that is not being produced in adequate quantity by the pancreas. These are helpful, as they help with the digestive problems and any discomfort, bloating etc that she may be having. If you would like some advice on this please be in contact with us as this does require lengthy information to be give to you.

Also would be helpful to know if your mother is taking a tablet ie either Omeprazole, lansoprazole to protect the stomach from acid and reflux.

Please feel free to be in contact (020 3535 7099 or email is: support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk) and we can give your further more involved information.

I hope this is helpful for you pol61.

Kind regards,

Dianne

Hello,

I had a Whipple 3 years ago, had most of my pancreas, 35% of my stomach, my gall bladder etc removed, and also had problems digesting though I take 15-20 enzyme pills (Creon 25000) daily.

I find I am best on small, simple meals like steamed fish, steamed rice, steamed new potatoes, fruit (especially bananas, apples, pears), and porridge. I cannot digest milk now but yogourt and cottage cheese are ok. I can have small amounts of cheese such as Cheddar (about 100gms). Rice cakes are also good. Bread can be a bit iffy.

But every now and then I splurge on fish & chips and to hell with the consequences!

Good luck!

SueF

Hi Dianne,

Thanks so much, yes, she did have a bypass, and I'm sure that must help. She had a stent put it before the attempted whipples and that made her feel brand new, but that was 3 months ago and I imagine it might have stopped working now.

She takes Creon with every meal, between 10k and 40k depending on size of meal, and also has 30mg Lanzeprazole in the morning.

SueF - thanks too! She also loves fish and chips, but regrets it afterwards!! I find she's better on the lighter fish and chips you can get from M&S, maybe you should try that too. Good advice on the other foods, thanks, she eats too much bread - I'm sure it's not good for her, but she loves it, so what you gonna do right? We're not sure how much longer she'll be around so I'm certainly not going to deny her a couple of slices of toast!!

Thanks xx