Pancreatic cancer in children-brief mention on bbc east mids

AnthonysDaughter

AnthonysDaughter

Just thought I'd post on here, my mum sister and I are completely stunned ny a mention on BBC east midlands today of a news piece about a charity called wishes 4 kids, the kids all have different medical conditions, this one little girl who looked about 6years old it was mentioned that she was suffering from a rare childhood disease, pancreatic cancer! The poor little thing! Didn't even know it had affected any1 so young. Just thought id mention it xxx

how sad for the poor child and her family.

It is really strange, but everywhere I go, or most of the times I turn the telly on it seems to be mentioning pancreatic cancer. Now this may be because before Mum had it, I obviously didn't take much notice. It just seems in the public quite a bit at the moment, which is a good thing, if we can raise the profile of this horrendous disease, then maybe, we could get funding for R & D.

I don't know if any other carer's and family feel like this, but, I am really scared about mine and my children's future. I do believe that it can be inherited. My great gran died of very similar symptoms, over 60 years ago. My mum was about 4/5 at the time so I was getting it from a child's perspective, but she remembered her Nan, swelling up, her legs and tummy, and then her Nan dying. My Nan, Mum's mum, died prematurely in an accident, so we missed a generation, but with Mum getting pc, I wonder, could it be hereditry?

louie x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Louie,

If you can email me at support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk, then I will help you to explore this, and get you some contact details.

KR,

Jeni.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi All,

Just to say that the type of pancreatic cancer in children is a very rare type of childhood cancer. It is called Pancreatoblastoma and is not the same type which adults suffer from.

Jeni.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using our forums you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.