Pancreatic Cancer Action Campaign

MSH

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2552308/I-wish-I-breast-cancer-Pancreatic-cancer-charitys-campaign-slogan-causes-outrage-sufferers-disease.html

One of those cases where a bit of controversy raises the profile and makes for a successful message. Interesting that the comments are very much in favour as opposed to the tone of the article and cited twitter users.

Hi Mark, this was touched upon in another thread. Someone spotted it being discussed on This Morning.

I think its great, but then I would having been affected. I can kind of see why other cancer sufferers might feel a bit offended but overall I think its VERY necessary.

I caught some discussion of this on Channel 5's The Wright Stuff. Kerry the girl from the poster called in to say the I wish I had breast cancer was a genuine thought and not an ad man's slogan. Apparently she's had some vile abuse on social media and she's only 24 for God's sake.

Those caring for loved ones with this terrible disease will understand. People suffering with PC are definitely treated differently. These sufferers are not statistics but humans and they should have the same chances. They didn't chose to have PC.....

Edited by Ant11

I saw that too Mark. People can be so vile.

We said the same about Ray, 'why can't it be 'x' cancer, anything but this!' Who in their right mind would want cancer at all, but one with a 3%, 5 year survival rate against a 85/97% survival rate? - no contest! That's the blatant truth of it like it or not!

I love it! Carl actually has said to me "I wish I had testicular cancer" in the past, it's obviously not meant to belittle testicular cancer, but why wouldn't you want to have the 97% on your side rather than against you. The backlash to this is insane, people just don't get it. Nobody wants cancer, but if you have to have it you want one thats you're going to survive!

Agree totally with all the comments here. Dave didn't even have the opportunity of chemotherapy, a consequence of three hospitals and four "consultants" that wasted so much time, it was simply too late. We were told by one of these consultants that PC was "about the worst cancer to have."

Hope you are all well.

Hilary

Hi All

I'd texted in my thoughts and was contacted by a researcher who invited me to join the discussion which I was pleased to do.

Obviously most air time was given to the spokespersons from P C Action and the Breast Cancer Charity but I did get the chance to make my comments live on air just before the 11.00 a.m. news. My own view is that the campaign although of questionable taste, by accident rather than design I suspect, has certainly rattled a few cages and got more valuable media coverage than a more restrained approach may have done.

Love and Peace

Mike

Hi,

I couldn't agree more with this campaign my Mam lived 24 pain filled days past her diagnosis she died on 11th January 2014 tomorrow would have been her 62 birthday. I wish it had been breast cancer because that would have meant, we would have more than likely been spending tomorrow together and not apart. No one wants cancer, but I would rather be ran over by a car doing 20mph than a train doing 100mph.

Sarah.

Edited by Sarah18

Good for you Mike. I've taken to twitter and facebook to put the point across;

"5Yr Survival - Breast Cancer 85.1%, Testicular Cancer 97.2%, Pancreatic Cancer 3.7%.

No-one should go through the anguish of a cancer diagnosis, but to those angry about the campaign, please respect this as a very personal sentiment expressed by my mother and a significant number of other PC sufferers I correspond with.

All types of cancer are life changingly brutal, but it is only human for a PC suffer to wish firstly the diagnosis is wrong. Secondly, that they were diagnosed earlier (80% are inoperable when diagnosed) and then, if being healthy isn't an option, to have some other illness that comes with a better standard of care and more than an average of 4-6 months to live.

To paraphrase Mr Joe South "Walk a mile in my shoes before you abuse, critisize and accuse". I respectfully ask that those with experience of more treatable cancers do the same. Replay your own diagnosis and try and imagine how you and your loved ones would have felt with the prognosis that comes with pancreatic cancer"

The link below to the charity's campaign page. Don't really want to dirty my hands with the Daily Mail link again.

http://pancreaticcanceraction.org/community/blog/hard-hitting-advertising-campaign-launched-encourage-increase-early-diagnosis-pancreatic-cancer/

Edited by InfoForMum

Sarah18 wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I couldn't agree more with this campaign my Mam lived 24 pain filled days

> past her diagnosis she died on 11th January 2014 tomorrow would have been

> her 62 birthday. I wish it had been breast cancer because that would have

> meant, we would have more than likely been spending tomorrow together and

> not apart. No one wants cancer, but I would rather be ran over by a car

> doing 20mph than a train doing 100mph.

>

> Sarah.

That's so brutal Sarah. I'm so sorry your family had so little time to come to terms with this and no chance to fight. Your analogy is very powerful and with your permission I'll share it.

Another Sarah

XXX

Edited by InfoForMum

I think it's a great ad and so true, like many we thought the same, if only it had been one with a great chance of survival! It needs to stir up more controversy - have shared on Facebook and made no apologies for it. Nobody would have even given it a glance without the outraged caused in some quarters.

It certainly seems to be doing its bit to raise the profile of PC. I am aware that people with loved ones suffering from the other forms may well be hurt by this, especially if things are going badly for them in their own fight, regardless of the odds being "better" for them compared with PC. However, I'm sure all of us here can see how people are missing the point. I have lost count of how many times I have wished my lovely wife had been diagnosed with one of the other cancers mentioned rather than PC. Had that been the case, she would probably still be here with me, albeit still having some kind of treatment. Sarah's analogy is spot on! I do not post very often these days, but visit the site daily and am with you all in spirit.

Hugs to you all,

Paul

As Jeni says, lovely to hear from you. I've posted Sarah's bang on analogy on Facebook and without asking it's been retweeted and shared so there's some thought going into this in some quarters.

The other Sarah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using our forums you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.