Abraxane - a step nearer

Slewis7313

Hi Steve

Leading from the front as usual!! Do we know what NICE think of it? My guess is that they'll say it's not cost effective if it only extends survival by a couple of months but costs an arm and a leg! Private treatment only then possibly.

I think I'll just be on Gemcitabine till next scan results in February! No complaints as feeling good and organised my club's snooker evening yesterday which was good even though I was denied my usual early night!!

Love and Peace

Mike

NICE are still looking at this one Mike. I actually attended the first NICE workshop as a 'patient representative' to review this and the various parties went away to consider. My understanding of the NHS stance was that they felt the treatment was not cost-effective. This is only my gut feeling and the ball is now in NICE's court to do their bit.

Steve

They wouldn't even let us pay AND have Gem on NHS. Whats the problem, it wouldnt have cost them anymore? No its all about some imaginary person who couldnt afford to do likewise. Oh right so if 'A' cant have the CHANCE to get a couple of extra months with their family, neither can you! Charming, and so caring. Never mind too what might be learned from someone undergoing a different combo of chemo drugs

It makes me so mad!

Steve, this is good timing for us, thank-you, as Paul started his Gem/ Abraxane regime today, and it seems no issues with AXA funding it (although I never relax until I see bills have been paid!). If it does make a difference, really hope everyone can get an opportunity to give it a go.

So far so good, Paul feels better than he ever did post Folfirinox, but I will keep you all posted as to how it goes. Strangely, just when we thought the cancer must be getting more active as Paul has had more pain and distension his tumour markers have dropped from 160 to 65, so really we are none the wiser.

Nikki

You are so right Julia and it appears to be similar with the attitude in some areas to Nanoknife. Looks like we have to push the boundaries ourselves until such time as the system adapts to our needs.

Steve

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using our forums you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.