A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
petra

Re: my lovely dad

Postby petra » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 am

hi jeni, yes that would be great, thanks x

LindaH

Postby LindaH » Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Petra,

I have been reading with interest about your lovely dad and I sincerely hope the turning point for him is now in hand.

I was diagnosed in December last year with inoperable tumour in my pancreas and unfortunately has now spread into my liver, but to be honest my oncologist wasn't overly bothered about this as I am on the chemo combination of Cisplatin and Gemcitabine coupled with good sickness control in the form of Cyclizine 50mg tablets taken at regular intervals. My oncologist is convinced if the chemo works -for me- it will also work to stop the spots in the liver.

I am 59 and I seem to be tolerating the treatment quite well *touch wood*. Unfortunately (I keep using that word) my tumour is a rare tumour with no statistics as there are only around 25 known cases in the UK, so nobody knows whether my treatment will work to either shrink my tumour or stop it in it's tracks....it's in the lap of the Gods at the minute.

I was interested in reading about Metformin and I will ask Jeni about it as I was also discovered to have Diabetes type 2 at the same time as I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so basically I thank you for bringing this to the forefront as I for one am always looking for something to hold on to that might just help me to live longer, as I have been given a possible longevity of one year, but my daughter is only 21 and I so want to see her graduate, find the career of her choice...etc...like we all do.

Good luck with all you try to help your dad, I know I would try anything, I'm not giving up without one hell of a fight.

Linda xx

petra

Postby petra » Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Linda, and everyone!! Hope you are all as well as can be!!l Linda yes jeni will be able to give you info re metformin, I really don't see any reason why u should not have it although u may have to pitch your point to your consultant as I have often noticed that in this situation if u don't ask I don't get!!!! Sounds like your on a good dose of chemo and tolerating it well , I do hope you continue to do well. Dad has had a very torrid time of it of late, he had a mini stroke back in April I found him in a right state about 8 in the morning when I got home from a nightshift, and ended up back with him on the ward where I had been working all night oh the irony! Seriously though it was so distressing to see him like that
I will never be able to forget it and his face in the
Ambulance, really horrid. Latest scan showed no brain mets ( they thought maybe that had caused the problem) stable disease in the panc no new mets in the liver but growth on the ones there already albeit slow, so not too bad!!! Saw a different dr the other day his platelets too low for treatment so we are to wait Another week, he has already had two wks off due to being completely washed out by the chemo, I don't think it's right he should see different Drs, this one kept enc him to stop treatment she was so pessimistic!! Now dad thinks he's on his way out....never mind lets hope for better news Friday!!! Much love Petraxxxxxxxxxxc

petra

Postby petra » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi everyone, just to let you know my beloved dad passed away 13th aug at home with his kids around him, was very peaceful at the end and palliative care were great his symptoms were well controlled. I am quite devastated to think I won't speak to him again and I miss him already but am keeping busy with funeral plans all the donations are going to pancreatic uk, can't thank Jeni and Dianne enough they have been great! I hope my dad has gone somewhere lovely where illness doesn't exist and PC is unheard of of course! This is a great forum and thanks for everyone's support, everyone is so positive and nice there is no negativity or nastiness it's really great! Kind regards, Maddy xxx

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Maddy

I am really saddened and sorry to hear of your lovely Dad's passing - but glad it sounded very peaceful.

I hope the funeral goes, or has gone perfectly and to let you know we are thinking of you.

Cathy xxx

J_T

Postby J_T » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm

So sorry to hear about your dad, Petra. Such sad news.

You are in my thoughts.

Julia x

KATB

Postby KATB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Oh Petra, I am so sorry.

Much love to you.

K
x

petra

Postby petra » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank you SO MUCH all of you your kind words they mean so much at this horrid time xxxxxx

petra

Postby petra » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Dads funeral was a week ago and it went well, made me happy to see how many people thought so much of my dad! I wrote a poem and read it out as a eulogy, managed to do it without crying which I hadn't managed when practicing it, I swear he was with me helping me through!! Here it is

A better dad in all the world would be so hard to find,
A quiet man who was well loved, gentle and so kind
God took you up to heaven, and we'll always wonder why, you couldn't stay down here with us and now watch us from the sky.

We searched to find the answers, to an illness that's so cruel, we prayed for better news but in our heats we always knew.

Through all your pain and suffering, a complaint we didn't hear, you faced it with such spirit,
Leaving us behind your only fear.

If we're never reunited, we really wouldn't mind, the love you showed us in this life will last us for all time.

I hope this place called heaven is all we wished it to be, where illness and sorrow won't trouble you, and you'll still watch over me.

We wonder what we'll do now, your hardworking hands lie still, an empty space in all our hearts that never can be filled.

You devoted your whole life to us, a dad of which we're proud, a loyal friend and trustworthy
Is what we've always found.

We leaned on you through thick and thin, you'd always help us through, the best if times, the worst as well we could only depend on you.

Christmas, birthdays, holidays will never be the same, although our hearts are broken now we'll always speak your name.

Material things mean nothing, is what you'd always say, sound advice to your two children from which we'll never stray.

Your words will never leave us, we'll treasure them for all time, if I could of chosen any dad I'm so glad that you were mine.

I wrote this on behalf of me and my brother
Xxxxxxxxx

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi there

What a beautiful poem. You were very brave to do such a long eulogy (or even do one at all!) and I imagine that others there were grateful for you sharing your poem and feelings.

It all sounded like a perfect funeral and I hope you and your brother can both take some comfort from that. Your Dad sounded like a very special person.

Take care

Cathy xx

karen17

Postby karen17 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Oh Petra,
That is just so beautiful and moving. Sitting here now with tears streaming down my face.
Like Cathy said you were so brave to be able to manage to read this at the funeral. Your dad would have been proudly looking down on you.
Take care
Karen xxx

petra

Postby petra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Cathy and Karen, thank you for your kind words I really hope dad was with me, I'm struggling to think that I won't see or speak to dad again, it breaks my heart. But I'm so glad you both liked my poem it means a lot, I hope you are both doing well xxxx

KATB

Postby KATB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't know how you managed to get through that Petra - it's lovely.
Thinking of you.
K
x

petra

Postby petra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 pm

KATB, for some reason I just didnt feel nerves or much sadness at the actual service, that's why I like to think dad was there.......feel worse now I'm back at work it's like I can't fathom what's happened to me in the past 12 months I never appreciated how things can change for the worse in such a short space of time! P xxxxx

KATB

Postby KATB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:09 pm

It's very hard to get your head around isn't it? I feel as though I'm living in a strange parallel universe, it's just so surreal.

My dad is still here but he is very unwell and we are on a real rollecoaster - one I never thought we'd be on at this stage of his life as he is only 61.

So, so difficult and what an utterly evil disease this is - and one I knew barely anything about until it so rudely interrupted our lives :cry:

K
x