enlarged lymph nodes

goodsyard

goodsyard

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across the combination of issues that my son in law has. We all know the outlook is bleak, but any support is gratefully welcomed.

Rik is 32, with a one year old daughter and was a real gym bunny. He was diagnosed, slowly and late, last autumn, and began chemo in December. The cancer is inoperable. It has spread to the lymph nodes including thoracic and his neck. In fact they first thought it was lymphoma until a scan showed the pancreas was involved. He's had chemo every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't know what as I don't get all the details. He's not jaundiced or diabetic.

I wonder if the lymph nodes are likely to keep on growing, as they are causing most of the discomfort at the moment, and if anyone has any tips to make things more comfortable?

I spite of everything he's keeping as active as possible and remarkably positive.

Many thanks for the support

Kathy

hi there kathy. cant help you personally, but am sure that if you ring the helpline here, jeni or anna will be able to help you, hope you get somewhere with that, so awful for the "watchers", cos u just want to do something positive, do hope you get some help, kind regards laura x

Dear Kathy,

I am so sorry to hear your story. I do agree with Laura that you should contact the helpline for this website. The number is 020 3535 7099 and email is support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk. That way you can get good medical advice.

Do let us know how you get on - and do make sure that your son-in-law gets the correct support from the NHS, with a multi-disciplinary team respecting the targets set for cancer care. We hear so often on this website about late diagnosis and slow response times.

Thinking of you!

Very best wishes,

SueF

goodsyard

Thanks to you both for your support.

I agree with you entirely about targets being missed, and I know this has happened here. I really want to call his team to account - but, and it's a big one - he doesn't want to do it. I'm ex NHS and both understand and am undaunted by the Pals system and all that goes with it. This is making me realise that for someone whose first encounter with the need to argue is in this awful situation, it's very hard to do. It's just not like complaining to M&S!

Best wishes