Hi

beckyhaynes

beckyhaynes

Hello my name is Becky dont if i am posting this is the correct place but here goes.

My name is Becky im 23 years old, and i have turned to these baords for help, support and advice as my uncle has within the last three weeks been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

the onli way that i can make u all aware is by going through the whole story and going through it from the start to the corrent day.

about two months ago now my uncle was becoming poorly and in agony alot, and was sent by his gp for lost of tests etc and when looking it up on the internet we thought he was being treated for gald stones. we was so shocked and horrified to find out that he had cancer of liver and really couldnt believe it. the doctors also told him that he had it somewhere else but at the moment they couldnt find it but was going to do more tests and scans to find it, however a week later he had a phone call to say that he was having to go into the hospital for the weeekend to have tests and scans done, as he arrived got settled the doctor came into him and explained that he had a blood clot on the lung, and that he was going to staying in the hospital while they treated the clot. and that while he was in they would also be doing a biopse to assess the extent of the cancer, days went by and he was still in the hospital, and just having tests done.

however the friday came and the doctor came to him and spoken to him, and informed him that he pancratic cancer, and that the prognosis wasnt to good and that they would try chemo but the chances of it working would be very slim. the whole family is totally beside themselves, and my aunty is jsut besider herself. anways my uncle has come out of the hospital and at home where he is suffering from sickness (please see another thread i have started). he has had his appointment at tht local hospital and they are going to start chemo next week but its not looking good, he has a 10% chance of it working, a 40-50% of it not working, and a 40-50% chance of it staying the same, if the chemo doesnt work they have given him 12 months to live, if he doesnt have the chemo at all they have given him 3 months to live.

he is deterirating quickly, he is weak, and somedays not getting up until the afternoon.

im jsut about to go and see him since the diagnosis as i have had a cold and didnt want to go and pass it on and make im weaker. infact im dreading it as i dont want to see him this way. but i need to be there for my aunty and be strong for her.

thank you for reading and im looking forward to hearing off some of you soon

Becky x

Hi Becky

So sorry to read about your uncle. It must have been an awful shock for him and all the family to hear he has pancreatic cancer. A lot of people on here will sympathise with you and know how you must be feeling.

It sounds as if you are going to be a support to your aunt and uncle, so that will be a help to them. Just having people around can take some of the strain off them. Your aunt will be under a lot of pressure to help your uncle but she must also look after herself, too.

It is so difficult to know what to say, especially as everyone's situation can be so different, but try to stay strong and positive. Let's hope your uncle picks up enough to have the chemo and that it will help him.

I wish you strength to get through this awful time.

Best wishes

Ellie

x

beckyhaynes

hey ya ellie thank you for the reply and the kind words that you have expressed.

we went to see my uncle today unfortantly didnt get to see him as he was having a sleep when we was there. i agree with what you are saying that my aunty needs to look after herself which i think is one thing that may slip, as she loks run down and really tired. sheis having to do everything at the moment she even has to help my uncle in and out of the bath and wash him.

i jsut dont know what to do for the best, i will pobably from time to time be asking questions which i know my aunty is trying to find answers to and if thats my way of helping then so be it.

thank you once again

Beckyx

Hi Becky

I have spoken to you on another thread and am sorry to hear about your uncle. You and your family are obviously going through a terrible time at the moment which all of us on here will understand. I send you my love and best wishes which I hope will give you strength. I have benefitted from the experience and wisdom of those on this forum as I am sure you will too. My family's life has been changed forever in such a short space of time and it is still not quite sinking in and we still have many questions unanswered and spend a lot of time just taking each day as it comes, helping my husband to stay fit and healthy so that he can keep fighting. There was a point when both of us thought he would not see the morning, but he did and he is still fighting - I wish the same for your uncle.

love

Deb

beckyhaynes

HI ya DEb thank you for your suppotive message, i will try jsut as much support as to what yourself and ellie ae already showing me, of which i can thank you both enough for.

i was jsut woundering if either you have come across where you husbands have been constantly sick, my uncle has done nothing but be sick or feel as though he was going to be sick. he hasnt been able to eat as he cant keep it down. he was given anti sickness tablets but hasnt been able to get them into is system cause no sooner he has taken it he brings it back up. just woundering if u had come across something like this and what they did?

hope you and your husbands are having a good day.

take care

BEcky x

Hi Becki

My husband didn't have sickness like you are describing. He had nausea while on chemo, but the anti-sickness medication sorted that out.

Why don't you ask Jeni for advice on this? She is the Support Manager on here. You can email her at support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk.

It isn't going to do your uncle any good if he can't eat and the tablets aren't staying down, either. That's going to make him very weak and not help him

cope with everything else that's going on.

Hope you can get that sorted out very soon.

Love

Ellie

x

Hi Becki

No, my husband has not been suffering with sickness at all. It is one of the side-effects of the chemo and he has tablets to take in the event he should be or feel sick, but luckily have not needed them so far. As said, get in touch with the medical staff to try and get this sorted. Good luck.

Deb

x

beckyhaynes

hi ladies how are you both?

we have the macmillian nurses trying to sort it out now, the nurse that has been assigned to my uncle thinks that it may be macanical rahter than chemical cause they have uped the doseage but still be is being sick, but they think now that the tumor has growna nd possably causing a blockage. he starts his chemo on wednesday.

at one point this week they didnt think they was going to be able to start it =( but the docs have given the go ahead. hoope to speak to u all soon becky x

Hi Becki,

Sorry to here about your Uncle, it is as terrible thing for sufferers to come to terms with and cope with.

I;m sure your Aunty is very grateful of your support, of which you are obviously offering.

Keep strong if you can.

Thinking of you.

Millyjo