Lansoprazole with Creon

Matt Sawyer

Hi all,

I’m interested to hear of all experiences in using Lansoprazole. I have received conflicting advice, that I both do and do not need to take Lansoprazole to increase efficacy of Creon.

Lansoprazole can have side effects, some of which I have, so I am keen to only take if absolutely necessary.

Any feedback/tips gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Matt

Hi Matt

My husband takes Creon and is prescribed Lansoprazole as an adjunct to the enzymes. We’ve never questioned it but I’ve Googled for you and found these NICE guidelines:

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/treatment-summary/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency.html

“There is limited evidence that acid suppression may improve the effectiveness of pancreatin. Acid-suppressing drugs (proton pump inhibitors or H2-receptor antagonists) may be trialled in patients who continue to experience symptoms despite high doses of pancreatin.”

From this it looks like Lansoprazole is optional. But if I were you I’d check with the Support Line here as I have no medical training.

Best wishes

W&M

Hi Wife&Mum,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Yes I’ll call the support line about it.

As far as I’ve been able to tell, Lansoprazole makes no difference to the amount of Creon that I need.

Has your husband also found this, or has he never tried taking Creon on its own?

Kind regards,

Matt