Medicinal cannabis

Matt Sawyer

Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of obtaining legally available medicinal cannabis abroad (for example in The Netherlands)?

And does anyone know whether it is possible to get special permission from the UK authorities to bring such medicine into this country?

Any info or advice most gratefully received.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt

I'm afraid this isnt allowed - see this online article:

https://www.release.org.uk/law/uks-law-medical-cannabis

Excerpt:

-------------------------

"Medical Cannabis from outside the UK

Under Article 75 of the Schengen Agreement the UK allows residents of other EU States which have signed up to this to travel with their prescribed narcotic or psychotropic substances, including Cannabis, into the UK as long as they have a certificate authorising this from their own country. The certificate is valid for up to 30 days.

This only applies to residents of other Schengen states, and not to UK residents who are prescribed Cannabis in another country.

So, a Dutch resident who is prescribed medical cannabis will be free to come to the UK with their medical cannabis, as long as they have the certificate and aren’t coming for more than 30 days. However, a UK citizen cannot travel to the Netherlands, be prescribed medical cannabis there and legally bring it back into the UK as they are not a resident of the Netherlands. "

----------------------------

It's such a shame because some PC patients seem to get a lot of benefit from it.

W&M xx

Hi Wife&Mum,

Thanks so much for replying to my query. 'Release' make it sound pretty clear-cut don't they.

I did manage to find something on the gov.uk website which got my hopes up, but maybe I have misunderstood it. The page is under 'Business & enterprise >Licensing>Controlled drugs:licences, fees and returns ' (sorry, I don't seem to be smart enough make a link to the webpage 😞).

Have you seen this? It talks about individuals as well as companies, and does seem to suggest that there is a mechanism for getting an import license for a schedule 1 drug like cannabis oil.

I guess I just need to give them a call, or call Release, to get clarification.

Kind regards,

Matt

Hi Matt

I wasn't familiar with the webpage that you mention. I've had a quick read and it implies that you would need a prescription to apply for an import licence. But I agree that the best way to get a definitive answer would be to speak to these organisations.

It would be really helpful to others reading the forum if you could let us know your findings.

Best of luck

W&M xx

• 4 years later...

Hi, I think if you need regular THC intake (for treatment, not entertainment) then I think you can easily replace cannabis with CBD oil or food containing THC.