Gutted sister couldn't start her Chemo

sonia57

My sister who is still in prison was due to start her chemo yesterday but was told that she couldn't have it as her blood and liver were all over the place and needs to be stablelised. Can someone please explain what this means as time is rapidly going by.

It depends what is wrong. With blood it could be anaemia or low platelets which can be sorted with transfusions sometimes. I am not sure how they stabilise liver problems. It might be worth ringing the nurses on this site as they will know all about these types of problems and what can be done to correct them. X

Most drugs are metabolised in the liver, so if there is a problem as might be reflected in the blood by disordered liver function tests (LFTs) the body can't process them properly. This is particularly important with chemotherapeutic drugs. When I was first diagnosed I was jaundiced and had to wait until the stent cleared things before I could start Folfirinox.

What seems strange to me is that it was only found in your sister on the day she was due to start her treatment, it must be so disappointing for her. Surely her LFTs had been checked earlier.

I hope she gets her compassionate release as a matter of urgency.

Mark

I know it's very hard for everyone affected by cancer but we don't get to find much out. My sister rings her partner and 22 yr old son so we get it secondhand for a start off. Due to next of kin priority visits i don't get to visit her very often,about every 6 wks when i hear it direct from my sister.

I'm trying to find out everything i can so that when i see her i can pass on anything i've found out to help her with any questions she needs to be asking.

Thank you Sandra. I've just had a call from my brother in law to say that my sister has been told that she can't have Folfirinox and may not be able to have any chemo due to the problem with her liver.

As MSH has stated above regarding LFTs i know patients usually go to hospital the day before chemo to have their bloods tested, in my sisters case as she is in prison it doesn't appear to work like that. She went on Friday for the line to be fitted, i don't know if they did blood tests then or if she got to the hospital yesterday and they were done then.

I'm going up to see her on Sunday (a 3 hr drive) so i'll hopefully find out more then.

A very big thank you to the wonderful gentleman that i spoke to this morning, sorry i can't remember his name. We're all feeling a lot better for the information and help that was given. An email has been sent to my sister with the information that i was given. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sister still hasn't been able to start chemo. I managed to go to hospital with her yesterday as she was told she was definitely having Folfirinox but again she couldn't have it due to a change in bloods overnight. I asked the doctor all the questions in the advice i was given by the lovely medical staff last week. My sister wasn't on steroids as they told us it would lower her immunity and they won't even give her the Gemcitabane. An ultra sound has shown that the tumour has grown in her liver so they can't put a stent in to relieve the bile duct.

They have now sent her off with steroids in the hope of it reducing the tumour and hopefully start chemo nxt Wednesday.

Hope your sister can get her chemo next week. I know you probably just want to get on with the treatment and it's really difficult when it keeps getting delayed. Is there any news on her early release yet as I'm sure you'd both feel better if she was home.

Sue

Kittycat ,Her release depends upon her recent liver results. If she is fit enough for chemo they won't let her out as it will increase her life expectancy. If she's not fit enough for chemo they may release her. Personally i think they'll wait till she is bed ridden which is unfair.

Sonia,

Its just so sad for you all, surely under the circumstances she should just be released. Is there no one else you can approach to help with the situation. How about your MP could they not intervene of your behalf. I hope your sister can start her chemotherapy soon, and that she can come home, take care sandrax

What an awful situation your sister is in. It's a good job you are all supporting her in this. How is she in herself as it must be terrible being in prison let alone having this dreadful disease.

Sue

Finally good news ,after writing to 10 Downing Str at the beginning of last week my sister was released on Saturday lunchtime. My mum is now much better now that her daughter is home and my sister is a lot better in herself. Now we can begin to look after her in the short time she has with us. Thank you for the support and i will keep giving updates on how she is doing.

Oh Sonia,

What fantastic news, I am so pleased for you all, lets hope now she is home she can start some form of treatment. At the very least you as a family will now be able to attend hospital/GP appointments with her, is she now going to be attending a different hospital, perhaps they might have a different slant on things with regard to treatment, take care sandrax

Sandra W ,she sounds so much better her voice is stronger. She has got to go back up to the hospital in Newcastle this week to hopefully start chemo. She will have to go there until the doctor gets her transferred to a local hospital.

She's planning on doing all sorts while she's strong enough to do stuff. What she wants to do not what people think she should do and we'll support her all the way.

Well that's it no chemo for my sister as the cancer has progressed too far. At least she is home to enjoy what little time she has left with us.

Sorry to hear that Sonia - it must be such a shock for your sister and all the family. As you say, at least now she's home with you all and I'm sure she'll make the most of it. Take care.

So that bad news is that my sister cannot have any chemo at all. She is a horrible yellow/green colour and in a lot of pain which is distressing. She remains cheerful despite it all. She wants to eat but can't eat as much as she would like due to the tumour in her liver pressing on her stomach.

We had a lovely family bbq yesterday but i think everyone there was mindful that it was probably the last time that we would all be together.