Sister has 4 months to live

sonia57

Hello everyone , i don't do support groups but i'm not coping too well with the news that my kid sister (she's 51) has been told she only has 4 months left to live. That is bad but she was told the news while handcuffed to a prison officer. She hasn't threatened , hit or murdered anyone but made a stupid mistake before anyone judges her. Can you imagine what it must be like for her not knowing when she is going to the hospital, not having access to the internet to find out any information and only being able to see her family 3 times a month.

Her pancreas has already packed up and she has insulin insulations every day, she is also having morphine twice a day with Oramorph? in between. She has been given 3 chemo options which may give her a few months extra and has decided to go for the strongest possible one.

My mum hasn't got over the shock of her younger daughter going to prison and not seeing her very often but know i've had to tell her that her daughter is dying. My sister is frightened that she is going to die alone. I'm frightened about everything and don't know what to do.

Dear Sonia, what an awful situation for you all. I am glad your sister will be able to have the strong chemo (assume folfirinox) which has had good results for many. Also would it not be possible to get your sister released on health/compassionate grounds? Pancreatic cancer is so deadly that often it cuts through red tape so I hope that can happen for your sister. Let us know how you get on. Didge x

Hi Sonia, I'm so sorry to read your post, you must be so scared and not being able to be there with your sister, my husband was told January 2014 he only had 3 months and he's still here with us, so the Docs can get it wrong sometimes,

I hope yous are reunited soon xx

Thanks for the replies.We have now found out that the cancer has spread a lot further and the prison have applied to the Home Office for her early release. However they can refuse even though she meets all criteria needed. We've got everything crossed that they will release her.

Hi Sonia

I am struggling to come to terms with my dads dignosis, as no one knows the outcome and everyone is different, while you have to stay strong to support them.

I hope your sister gets released so you can all spend quality time with her.

Sonia, even when it has spread if your sister is otherwise fit, she may be offered chemo. To be honest this cancer has often spread when detected so fitness for chemo is key. I hope she gets released. Let us know and hope your mum is coping as best she can x

Hi Sonia,

Lets hope your sister gets her release very soon, as you say the disease it certainly scary enough for her without the added stress of not having her family with her for support. At least when you have her home you can all face things together.

My husband had Folfirinox and did well on it, without too many side effects, he had a wonderful 4 and a half month break from treatment last summer, when he was really well, so there are good times hopefully, to look forward to, take care sandrax

Thank you so much for the replies, it means so much to know that there is help out there. My sister has rung mum today to say that she is starting chemo next week,she's having the strongest one, she can't remember what it's called other than it begins with F.

She is still fairly fit and is very strong mentally so hopefully that will help her in her fight.

Hopefully we'll get her back home and be able to give her the love and support she needs, it's very hard when she's 200 miles away. thank you again everyone xx

What good news. Hopefully she will be back home with you soon, it must be so worrying with her so far away and there have been some good results with folfirinox. Good luck.

Sue

Dear Sonia,

I hope your sister gets her early release and you can have some time together as a family. My Mum was on folfirinox and it worked well . Your sister is younger so hopefully she will get a good result.

Try and stay positive and hopefully she will be home soon.

Take Care,

Love Sue x

• 2 weeks later...

My sister starts her chemo on Monday. She has been told that she can wear her own cloths and won't be handcuffed so that's something. Would be better if she could come out.

Hi Sonia,

Its good news that your sister is starting her treatment, hope it goes well and as Didge says that she gets her release, she has enough to cope with, and needs her family around her, take care sandrax

• 1 month later...

So,my sister has been home nearly 3 wks and we haven't had the chance to do anything with her. With her being away we didn't know just how advanced the cancer was. We were hoping for a shopping trip or 2 and days out but nothing as my sister has been too weak to do anything even a wheelchair.

She never had the chance of any chemo due to the cancer spreading to her liver and the tumour there growing so rapidly. During this time she has remained strong.

Yesterday the nurses had to fit a line to provide her drugs as she now sleeps alot. When i went to see her yesterday she appologised for being a burden to us,that broke my heart.

I go away on holiday on Monday and i hope that she is still here when i get back. It's a holiday that was booked last year way before we knew off my sisters situation. I know i go with my sisters blessing as i've been in hospital myself and been told to rest and slow down . I've been trying to be there for everyone and not looking after myself.