Information re; Heidelberg.

kwaitang

Hello. I have today written to the Heidelberg University Hospital to reqyuest an appointment for my husband, Keith.

They have told me to fill in a form from their international site.

My problem is that I do not know a lot of the info, dates, terminology or treatment that Keith has had.

Can anyone else that has filled in this form help.

Do I have to get our hospital to fill it in?

Heidelberg require copies of scans, xrays etc; Will our hospital give them to me?

Goodness, there is an awful lot to fill in.

Thank you. Arlene.

Hi Arlene

Afraid I can't answer most of your questions but your hospital will give you copies of scans and x-rays. There is probably a protocol for doing so (i.e. making a request in writing) and there may also be a charge.

Best way of finding out is maybe to ring your oncologist's secretary.

Good luck

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I spoke to our lovely "cancer nurse" and he is going to help me fill out all the forms, get copies of scans etc;

I was so pleased that he said he would help in any way he could.

Arlene.

Thank you Sue. Our nurse says he will do what he can so I will see if I can get him to ring on our behalf (just in case of any technical questions) I feel that we do not know nor understand all the details of Keiths illness. We only found out last week from this nurse that Keith also has some cancer on his liver. He assumed that we already knew about it from the previous hospital that had done the initial teasts and scans. It came as a real shock to us that we did not know this for over 3 months.

Arlene.

Arlene, I did the same as Sue and Mick. I sent an email to a Frau Bornschlegl (you will find her on the web site / International Department). She in turn put me in touch with one of the Doctors to whom I sent my latest scan and various documents I thought might be of use. The NHS will supply all the documents / scans for which you will have to pay (£40 ish). They have 40 days to supply the information to comply with the Data Protection Act. You may find your Oncologist can circumvent the process and get copies quicker.

Good luck

Steve

X

Hi Sue and Steve.

Thank you so much for the information. This is the route I will take with the help of our nurse.

I have already started to sell all of my collectables that I have spent many years gathering, to raise funds, just in case. It has given me something to focus on. I need to feel like I am doing something.

Keith is just the opposite - he just seems to accept everything that comes his way. It seems as if he is not willing to do anything to help himself although he is accepting of the idea of going to Heidelberg.

Well I suppose we are all different but I sometimes feel as if I am fighting for everything all by myself.

I get so worn out and then a chance like this comes along and I get fired up again.

I will post when I have some more information.

Arlene.xx

Good luck m'dear, great to hear your nurse is doing what we would like to see all nurses do..pulling with us to get us the best possible care.

Let us know how you get on!

Sarah