Creon

EmmaR

Hello hubby just stared taking Creon 40000 and 25000 can he add them to a fortisip protein drink or dissolve them in a little water finding them hard to swallow I know he can add them to porridge and stewed apples but think he would prefer to swallow them with liquid .

EmmaR

Hi Emma

I'm not an expert on creon but the nurses on this site and many others are. What I do know is that they shouldn't be opened or sprinkled onto food as this reduces their effectivness.

Why not contact the nurses on here and ask them? support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk

Cathy xx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Emma,

No, they cannot be dissolved in water or added to a fortisip I am afraid. This would inactivate the enzymes, and essentially, they would become ineffective. They can't be added to porridge either, I am afraid. They need to be taken with something acidic, so pureed apple, or mashed banana - you should take the capsules apart, then sprinkle the microspheres onto the mashed banana or pureed apple, and then take them straight away. Please do not handle the microspheres, or they will become damaged, and inactivated. After this, drink a half glass of water, just to rinse the mouth, to make sure none of the capsule contents are left behind.

I hope this is clear.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

Thank you both. yes Jeni very clear he has since reading your advice managed to swallow the capsule with water immediately before his meal and snack .

Emma

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Very well done! Give hubby a well done from us too, as its not easy swallowing these - they can be quite big if you are feeling even a bit "off colour". But, hopefully, they will do their job, and to good effect.

Well done as well for checking Emma - the forums always help!

Jeni.