A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
J_T

Re: Thanx Very Much Coronation Street ....

Postby J_T » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Well, have just watched Friday's episode. Hayley said this

"... and not keep me lingering on for a few days or weeks"

Well, I could write tomes on this, but suicide is not the answer or, should not have to be the answer.

There's a huge debate to be had and I thought perhaps a support forum is not the best place for it, then again, if not here, where?

How a terminal patient dies, is massive to them. Coronation St has been good in showing that at least.
Last edited by J_T on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:44 pm

When the time comes this vile scourge is going to have to kill me on its own, it's not getting one shred of help from me!!

Haven't seen Corrie as I gave up on it when it became East Enders with cobbles!!

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Couldn't have put it better Mike! I conmented back on September 24th on this thread and still believe the Corrie story development does not reflect the determined fighting spirit which persists here in the face of substantial adversity.

In the words of 'Galaxy Quest'.... "Never give up, never surrender"!

Take care

Steve
X

EmmaR

Postby EmmaR » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 am

Steve , Mike I agree with you both I only wish I could convey that to my hubby who is in hospital with a PE and has just been moved for I think about the 5 time in a week from 3 different wards now on a respiratory ward but tonight when my son & I arrived he was in a ward of 6 all on oxygen like him but with things like pneumonia, emphysema, granted they are ill but I don't think they are dying of PC .
My son wanted to take his dad home there & then as he looked defeated and some what childlike accepting his medication, trying to remember when he had the last dose really worrying about the oxygen would he have it if he came home !! It looked as if the fight had left him all this in two months ,
Consultant visit in morning no Dr to be seen all weekend ! I could have done more for him at home I would even had a shot at the Claxene injection as that is all he as had different all other meds the same ,
If he is there much longer will seriously consider a private room for him away from what reminds me of the film " one flew over the cuckoos nest " well I am so tired ,so angry , so broken hearted , this bloody disease is destroying my every fibre , but if he won't fight on then it's up to me I will echo Steve's words " never give up ,never surrender "

EmmaR x

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:52 am

People don't give up, they don't stop fighting. They don't pick the fight in the first place.

I SAW what this illness did to my husband. He was SO ill, and bedridden from 22 August till he died on 12 October. I could never have said 'keep 'fighting'' I loved him too much.

EmmaR

Postby EmmaR » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:23 am

Julia I too really feel like you deep down I might feeling like fighting for his comfort but as you said love takes over and the struggle to watch them fight is just unbearable .
EmmaR x

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am

Julia, perhaps it was a little crass for me to use the expression which works for me whilst i am in a relative good place at the moment.... It is easy to be brave when things are going well. I fully appreciate that on these journeys people reach a point where even the ability to try and fight is stripped away from the sufferers and I certainly did not mean to intimate that this is anything to do with giving up. I simply do not know how difficult it was for yourself and others who have recently gone through this process but hope I understand that trying to balance and manage the situation your loved one finds themselves in through the latter stages of the illness is no longer about the fight, but doing the best for them.

Steve
X

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 am

Oh Steve, not crass at all. You are a wonderful, wonderful man. I have nothing but admiration for you.

You are recovering from a very major operation yet you can still think about others and what they are going through.

Your post says it, exactly. Thank you for understanding.

Julia xxx

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Am getting more and more annoyed at Corrie st ... I just really don;t think its being portrayed as well as it should, if they had highlighted her symptoms (as they are key to early diagnosis) this would've proved invaluable and may have saved lives .. but none of that .... down to the wanting to kill herself as she might be harold at some point .. the message seems to be, as soon as you;re on morphine you become a gibbering hallucinating wreck so you might as well kill yourself .. what kind of message is that? I can tell you in June 3 mths after diagnosis my mom DID end up on morphine and yes it did that, but the meds were changed this was a temporary glitch, she recovered and was out shopping the following week totally herself .. it doesnt have to be this way IF you have the right people looking after you, the people who say, in the words of bart simpson, this sux change it...there are alternatives to this and this isnt being portrayed, her friend was on morphine then a few episodes later she was passed .. COME ONE CORRA do a better job ,, if you are going to nobley promote such a cause then do it right, make a difference, save lives .. just saying Hayley has it isn;t enough info to make THAT difference that PC awareness needs .. if people on here read my post labelled 'tired' you will see where you can order PC awareness posters from the PC team to pass on to doctors surgeries, chemists and hospitals .. misdiagnosis is the worst part of this aggressive disease it has the least survival rate of ALL cancers and that is purely down to misdiagnosis .. these posters could potentially save lives x

Huugz
Marie
xx

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Like Marie, this is annoying me greatly - yes I know its only a soap, but PC is an important message.

So Hayley had her first chemotherapy - I think she's Stage II, that's why she got the (failed) Whipple? So its not Folfirinox clearly, no pump, but she comes home after her first session and starts sewing a wedding dress and seems to have finished it in double quick time? Is it really like this for some people with pc? I know some folk on here are quite well but straight after a chemo session?

Maybe its just because Ray was never really well, but even the ones at chemo sessions (with other cancers) who looked as fit as, talked about how they had to pace themselves.

Roy and Hayley have acted very well but the storyline is very disappointing.

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 pm

I totally agree as even if you don't have the sickness and side effects from Chemo the side effects of PC are bad enough wherein you have non choice but to pace yourself? Would love to see Hayley and Roy get into some fundraisers where they promote the common 'MISDIAGNOSIS' that would be awesome ... Hayley gets angry and wants to help other people ... BAH ... maybe I should write to the studios xx

ROARS
indignatiously
(if thats even a word J)

hugz
Marie
xx

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Will be traumatic this week. I do think Julie and David have played the parts very well but if I'd been advising some things would have been a bit different. For example, and yes I know, artistic license and symbolic of Julie's end in 'The Street', but pushing a terminal PC patient in a wheelchair along a cobbled street? I don't think so!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:24 pm

No???

Xxx

morpaul

Postby morpaul » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm

I am LIVID and I am upset and crying.
How could you allow or support this ending to the plot?
Sure if itv want to run a vol euthanasia story then do it in a context of people who gave seen decline and suffering g that takes them to the edge. MS and MND are common contexts. NOT PC.
This does a total disservice to patients, survivors, suffers not with us and all those who strive for a cure.
Paul

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Ray couldn't have withstood it. Might have been different if you'd been pushing though Cathy ;)
Last edited by J_T on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.