A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

Slewis7313

Re: So far so good!

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am

So the chemo sessions are finished for now. The last one was not the best as the veins were being particularly illusive! We had success on the fourth attempt. Whilst not that unusual, I found myself really struggling with the session and was glad that one of the regulars Angela kept me occupied with the usual chats about food and dog walking on the beach. Good news however was that my tumour marker has dropped again to 12. I have now also had my second opinion from Heidelberg (they have copies of my latest scans) and they agree that I need to go through radiochemotherapy as the tumour would be very difficult to completely remove at this time. The villa in Spain is therefore booked and something we are all really looking forward to!

Take care all

Steve

karen17

Postby karen17 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Fantastic news Steve about the tumour markers ( not veins! ) and reassuring that everyone is agreeing on your treatment. You deserve a well earned spanish break. We are also going to spain in a couple of weeks and managed to get the Gp to prescribe Ultrasun for Bob to hopefully prevent him turning a lovely shade of red. Whoever suggested Ultrasun on prescription I thank you xx

KATB

Postby KATB » Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 pm

That was me! I'm off to the GP next week to get some for James (my youngest).
Glad you got hold of some - have a fab holiday all of you!

Kate
x

Slewis7313

An interesting development!

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I never actually met the surgeon who decided my tumour was inoperable, although in the meantime Heidelberg have confirmed they agree with the diagnosis. However, i also have a hernia which I wish to have fixed as soon as possible to allow me to be a little more active again. The NHS cannot perform the operation during my treatment break as it is non-urgent, so I have used my Company private medical insurance to try and have it done through them. I now have an appointment next week to discuss it with a surgeon in a private hospital and the surgeon in question is the guy who made the original diagnosis! It will be interesting to see what (if anything) he has to say about my Pancreatic Cancer whilst discussing the hernia issue.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri May 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Best of luck with that Steve. I hope you manage to get it sorted out quickly and successfully

Cathx

J_T

Postby J_T » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Ditto, hope you get your hernia sorted soon.

Julia x

Slewis7313

An interesting development indeed!

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 am

Referring back to my update on 30th May, I have now seen the Surgeon. The hernia is small and does not need to be operated on immediately, but he will do the operation when the time is right based on the Pancreatic Cancer situation. The conversation then moved on to him asking if we had met, to which I answered no but gave him a copy of his letter confirming my pc diagnosis in December, stating it was inoperable. We then discussed the fact hat I had responded quickly to chemo with all symptoms disappearing and subsequent gain of 8 of the lost 15Kg. He was also positive about the fact I had not had jaundice. Much to our surprise (Margaret was with me) he then made an unsolicited comment that he had operated on tumours which had initially been deemed inoperable but had reponded well to treatment. He followed this with "hopefully we can operate if things continue well". He had not seen my CT scan from March which showed no shrinkage, but stated he would rectify that tomorrow, epecially as my tumour marker had dropped from 480 to 12. He also asked me to mention to my Oncologist when I meet her tomorrow that they needed to discuss the best date for my next CT scan to ensure a prompt review at the next MDT meeting. He asked if we understood the seriousness of my condition and potential outcomes, to which we said yes and were aware of the possibility of no cure. We have now however had a meeting with the man who has the final decision on surgery and he is using words like 'hopefully' which has given us a major lift.

A really good day!

Steve

Sueba

Postby Sueba » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:47 am

Steve
Wow!thats amazing news it is all sounding very positive for surgery,I have everything crossed for you!
A really really good day!!
Sue
X

Sones

Postby Sones » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:16 am

So pleased to hear this Steve, everything crossed for you.

Sue,x

J_T

Postby J_T » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

Wow, more good news! Really pleased for you Steve, this is sounding really positive.

Julia x

LindaH

Re: An interesting development indeed!

Postby LindaH » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Slewis7313 wrote :
> Referring back to my update on 30th May, I have now seen the Surgeon. The
> hernia is small and does not need to be operated on immediately, but he
> will do the operation when the time is right based on the Pancreatic Cancer
> situation. The conversation then moved on to him asking if we had met, to
> which I answered no but gave him a copy of his letter confirming my pc
> diagnosis in December, stating it was inoperable. We then discussed the
> fact hat I had responded quickly to chemo with all symptoms disappearing
> and subsequent gain of 8 of the lost 15Kg. He was also positive about the
> fact I had not had jaundice. Much to our surprise (Margaret was with me) he
> then made an unsolicited comment that he had operated on tumours which had
> initially been deemed inoperable but had reponded well to treatment. He
> followed this with "hopefully we can operate if things continue
> well". He had not seen my CT scan from March which showed no
> shrinkage, but stated he would rectify that tomorrow, epecially as my
> tumour marker had dropped from 480 to 12. He also asked me to mention to my
> Oncologist when I meet her tomorrow that they needed to discuss the best
> date for my next CT scan to ensure a prompt review at the next MDT meeting.
> He asked if we understood the seriousness of my condition and potential
> outcomes, to which we said yes and were aware of the possibility of no
> cure. We have now however had a meeting with the man who has the final
> decision on surgery and he is using words like 'hopefully' which has given
> us a major lift.
>
> A really good day!
>
> Steve

This is really good news Steve. If you are able to have the operation....is that not the 'cure' you speak of...ie; tumour taken away? Keeping my fingers crossed for you Steve, you're a fighter.

Linda

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for the support everyone. The operation is indeed the cure I am hoping for..... Funny how things change as in the beginning I dreaded any surgery, but now it's the best possible outcome and I can't wait. Not there yet, but it certainly feels good to receive the comments yesterday from the horse's mouth!

Again thanks for the lovely comments and endless support!

Steve

Bee

Postby Bee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Steve,
What fantastic news for you and your family, as you say at least surgery is now a possibility. I am delighted for you, onwards and upwards and everything crossed!!
Bee

karen17

Postby karen17 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Excellent new Steve. So pleased for you and your family

karen17

Postby karen17 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Whoops that meant to read news not new. However you will be a new Steve too!