A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

Birchen

Re: So far so good!

Postby Birchen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 am

Sorry Steve I think I have got the hospitals a little mixed up. Heidelberg is where they do the Whipples etc isn't it. The one we have looked at is hospitaldrfachlinkherzog where they do a therapy involving extreme cold or heat combines with a low dosage of chemo. They are the hospital where you need to stay for three weeks and are not covered by private insurance.
We have looked at a lot of alternative therapy as we have been told that Terry's tumour is inoperable as it has spread to both lobes of the liver. Must of had a bad day and got totally confused. Good luck Lyn

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 am

You are correct Lyn, the plan is for me to have a whipples procedure at Heidelberg. I had read about the procedure you mention somewhere in Spain. I think it was in a Hospital at one of the major resorts, possibly Malaga.

Good luck with the treatment

Steve
X

MSH

Postby MSH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 am

That's great news Steve, its really good to have options but the surgery gives a chance of cure. I hope all goes well.

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:30 am

Well, it's now 2 days until I fly to Germany with Margaret and our girls Holly and Paige, with the operation in Heidelberg on Wednesday. Time to reflect and reading my first post back in March, I stated I was in a better place than most and for whatever reason that seems to be continuing. I feel really lucky at the moment and remarkably (unexpectedly) calm, probably because of having met some of the staff in Heidelberg and a really useful, long chat with Mick who did this 8 months ago. My good luck is all the more unbeleiveable when I look back on the very sad weeks and months on this forum. It has been a long time since I let this thing bring me to tears, but recent events here have managed to do it for me! Again and again, I have thought in particular about the 'carers' on this site who have shown us all what love, respect and commitment is all about. The word 'carer' does not really come any where near to describing what you have all been through, continue to go through and you still come back day after day to help the rest of us. For me the word 'carer' actually means the little (predominantly) ladies with the very big hearts. I take my hat off to every last one of you.

But enough of that, I will now look out the Heidelberg thread I started some time back and update it as often as I can whilst in Germany. A freind of ours recently underwent surgery for breast cancer and got her hands on an iPad whilst still under the influence of the anesthetic and put a really interesting update on Facebook which was simply a load of gobbledygook. Perhaps I'll try that as well!

I'll still be thinking about you all whilst in Germany and hope to have some good news by the end of next week.

Take care all

Steve
X

Sones

Postby Sones » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Will be thinking of you too Steve.x

Lels

Postby Lels » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Sending my very best wishes for your operation Steve

Lesley x

davidandsam

Postby davidandsam » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Dear Steve

Well said, "carers" does not cover the half of it! they are all amazing (mine included)

It is true that we have had some very sad news on the forums recently and like you it has brought me to tears time after time. The bravery of our erstwhile collegues is incredible, the strength of spirit is breathtaking.

Steve we are ready for some good news and I truly hope it comes from Germany ! All the very best and fingers crossed for you!

David

Bee

Postby Bee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Steve,
I wish you all the luck in the world, and will be thinking of you on Wednesday in particular .
Stay positive and Fingers crossed the love in your family and the expertise of the medics will see a fantastic outcome,

Keep us posted and virtual hugs to all of you

Bee xx

EmmaR

Postby EmmaR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Steve , as we say in Wales Pob Hwyl ( All the Best ) to you and your girls !

EmmaR x

InfoForMum

Postby InfoForMum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Bon voyage m'dear and we'll all be channelling the positive energy here in your direction.

Love and hugs

Sarah
XXX

Carole McGregor

Postby Carole McGregor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Steve

I'm soooo pleased you've been given this chance and wish you all the very best for the weeks ahead. You are so right to pursue this. We all know that the options available in the UK are limited. If I had known then what I know now, I would have pushed Clive to do the same when he was first diagnosed.

Someone has to beat this bloody disease and my money is on you !

Love
Carole

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Steve

Spot on about all the carers on here who give such great support to their loved ones and to each other.

Very best wishes for your treatment in Heidelberg and a full and speedy recovery from this major operation. We are all routing for you so go get 'em.

Love and Peace

Mike

PS Had a few of those tearful moments myself reading of how the carers are coping with their situations and, sadly, their losses to this bastard illness.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Steve

Fantastic. I will be looking out for your updates, hopefully we can have a gobbledygook one - looking forward to it.

Go get the bastard!!

Yabadabadoooo!!!... Julia would say were she not in Lanzarote

Cathy

Xxx

Winkle

Postby Winkle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Steve,
I am thinking about you every minute, reading about your experiences and the way you have dealt with each situation, you are an inspiration and fill me with so much hope. You are making others brave.
Wishing you and your family the very best.
Love Kathy

LindaH

Postby LindaH » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:31 am

Thinking of you and your family Steve. Wonderful news and I know you can only go from strength to strength. Will be thinking of you every single step of the way. Take care my friend.

Linda x