A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

toodotty

Re: Just diagnosed

Postby toodotty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Theresa, what treatment are they offering you?
toodotty

Alanc

Postby Alanc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Thanks for your reply, well done on doing so well fingers crossed it continues and you can still live an active life.

I have stomach pain today and during the night had quite bad bone type pain in my upper spine.

My back today is also uncomfortable.

I am just hoping that if I have pc they can do something to help.

I have only been having the symptoms for 4 weeks but could have it silently for a long time.

Theresa Upton

Postby Theresa Upton » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi, starting Folfirinox tomorrow, cant say I am looking forward to it but I am determined to give it my all. I have managed to get out for a short walk most days this week so keeping as fit as I can just wish my breathing would improve, something to do with my liver pushing on my diaphragm, it does get better the more I walk and as the day goes by.

Theresa

KeithKerry

Postby KeithKerry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Good luck Theresa. I really do hope that you're able to tolerate the chemotherapy and that it works as well for you as is it does for a good number of other people. Although my Daughter has been on Gemcitabine/Abraxane which is generally thought to be less tough on people, we are in touch with other patients that have been (and still are) receiving Folfirinox and many of them have seen good results.

I have my fingers crossed for you.

kate2101

Postby kate2101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 am

Good luck today Theresa. I have number 7 today, I’ll be thinking of you x

toodotty

Postby toodotty » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am

Theresa,
Good luck for today. They are pretty good at controlling the side effects with medication, so any problems speak to your cancer team. You may suffer from (even more) diarrhoea or constipation after chemo as your digestive system takes a big hit. Make sure you drink plenty and keep any food low fat and really simple.
The first 2 rounds of Fox is definitely the worse but better than I was expecting, and as Kate says once you get into a routine then it becomes less scary.
Best wishes,
toodotty

Michaela1

Postby Michaela1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 am

I third what Toodotty and Kate say, it gets better the more rounds you have, I've just had round 5 and am feeling ok with my usual symptoms. I think a lot of us keep a diary and that helps us track good and bad days so you can plan what you need to do and when, simple stuff like the shopping etc. Anyway good luck.
Michaela x

Theresa Upton

Postby Theresa Upton » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi and thank you. So far everything is ok, slept yesterday for what seemed to be forever but I did manage a decent walk yesterday before falling asleep and from lunch time today I have been feeling quite well. Had a decent walk and a good meal today with my son and daughter in law and managed a bit of baby shopping. Hope the rest of the week continues to be as good, tomorrow I get separated from my new friend the bottle.

Speak soon

Theresa x

kate2101

Postby kate2101 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:54 am

Hi Theresa

Glad all going well so far. Good you managed to get out and you’re eating. Got rid of my bottle last night, I’m always pleased to say goodbye to it!

You will probably find you will get more tired as the week goes on. My ‘dip’ is usually days 6/7 and you are at your most vulnerable as your platelets will be low. A week after my first treatment I felt awful, but we were in the middle of the very hot weather which didn’t help. Plenty of fluids and a bit of exercise help to flush the chemo. After the ‘dip’ I have a few days when I feel increasingly better and well ..... then the next round starts!

I’ve found each round has got easier for me and I can now predict when I’m going to be feeling my best. Even my ‘dip’ days aren’t too bad now, there are very few when I don’t feel like going out. Listen to your body and look after yourself x

Theresa Upton

Postby Theresa Upton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi, the tiredness has really got to me today and I hope tomorrow will be a better day...……...slept really well during the night and for a lot of today.

My first round of chemo has been better than I thought it would be but it is most definitely has been hard and I hope I can find the strength to keep going, I have also found that I have cried a lot, making an appointment with the GP tomorrow, could have a bit of depression I suppose.

I hope everyone out there is dong as well as they can, take care of yourselves and positive thoughts to you all. x

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Hope you are feeling better now Theresa. You are entitled to have a bit of depression ...hopefully your GP has been able to help although meds will take a few weeks to kick in.

Sending purple hugs xx

Theresa Upton

Postby Theresa Upton » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Round 2 of chemo tomorrow, bloods were OK with my liver function being better than last time. I hope I tolerate it as well as I did with round 1, at least I have a better idea of what is to come. Hope everyone is ok. x

kate2101

Postby kate2101 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi Theresa

Good luck for tomorrow. I was supposed to have number 8 tomorrow but my platelets were low again so a week off for me. Not too worried as my CA19-9 levels down again. Been really tired this week so hopefully the week off will give my body chance to recover and get my energy back. Hope it all goes well x

Theresa Upton

Postby Theresa Upton » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks Kate, I hope all is well for you next week, try to get some rest. My 2nd chemo went Ok, just waiting for the 'fall out' early next week.

Theresa