A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

longseason

Re: 25 year old male. Imminent diagnosis, I am almost certai

Postby longseason » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you veema, my symptoms last few days have been weird and worrying though. I seem to be getting nerve like pain across my upper back and around my shoulders. It's very infrequent but happens nonetheless. I'm almost convinced this is cancer referred cancer pain. I also seem to get pain in my liver area at times. I had a clean ultrasound a month ago but I'm not sure it picks up liver mets very well. At the same time I the lower back/rectal feeling of pressure has subsided, which is strange because I'd had that for months and you'd expect cancer symptoms to progress. At the same though, the mysterious nature of my symptoms almost points me further towards pancan

My grandfather has told me that a CT scan doesn't always pick up pancreatic cancer, which is perhaps true but I'm confident that SOMETHING will show up if something is wrong with me, either in my pancreas or elsewhere, hopefully people here will be bale to back up on this. From my point of view I'm really praying for a miracle and feel like something is almost definitely going to show up, though who knows. Stranger things have happened. While my family and friends are convinced there is nothing wrong with me, they just can't know my body like I can

Veema

Postby Veema » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 pm

What will you do if the CT scan is clear?

longseason

Postby longseason » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Veema wrote:
> What will you do if the CT scan is clear?
I'm not really sure. I suppose I'd just be living with a mystery illness. I know the gastrointestinal system is poorly understood and can play up at times, i just think what's I'm experiencing goes beyond that as rational explanation.

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:58 am

I am quite certain if you have pancreatic cancer, especially to the extent you think you have it, that a CT scan will most certainly pick it up. I have NEVER seen a case where it cannot be detected and followed up via a CT scan. So, please get that thought of your head right now otherwise you will spend your whole life in misery.

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:40 pm

DG is absolutely right Longseason. It's not a miracle you should be praying my friend but a CT scan at the very least. If a clear scan doesn't reassure you, then perhaps you might find some relief in addressing your health anxieties with your doctor? This is clearly very distressing for you and I do think your GP should be helping you in this regard. Xx

longseason

Postby longseason » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Proud Wife wrote:
> DG is absolutely right Longseason. It's not a miracle you should be
> praying my friend but a CT scan at the very least. If a clear scan
> doesn't reassure you, then perhaps you might find some relief in addressing
> your health anxieties with your doctor? This is clearly very distressing
> for you and I do think your GP should be helping you in this regard. Xx
I meant a clear CT scan would be a miracle for me, I don't feel right at all. It would reassure me

Ruthus

Postby Ruthus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Dear Longseason

It's terrible to feel the anxiety which you are feeling. I certainly don't want to sound dismissive of your symptoms but I think there has been excellent advice given to you. Of course you want to get to the bottom of your symptoms but if tests are coming back clear this is a positive and reassuring sign. I agree with DG in that I would be extremely surprised if a CT scan didn't show a Pancreatic tumour.
Again I don't want to down play your concerns but I am a trained Cognitive Behavioural Therapist and it could be you are suffering with health anxiety. I am just saying this is a possibility and don't want to offend you. With health anxiety the symptoms you experience will be real as anxiety can manifest in physical symptoms but if these are interpreted as serious illness people can experience higher anxiety which in turn increases the symptoms. The additional problems which help to fuel health anxiety are research about illness on the internet and the brain having tendency to go to worst case scenario - focusing on the symptoms which fit with the diagnosis and dismissing the symptoms which don't fit. It also increased self focus and attention on body symptoms (so a person becomes hypersensitive to any body changes which a person wouldn't normally notice) and reassurance seeking. Reassurance seeking can come in many forms. This can come in the form of frequent visits to the G.P and many tests. If test results come back as being normal this can offer short term relief and reassurance for a person but then "what if's" start to play with the brain for e.g what if the doctor missed something, maybe they aren't experienced enough etc etc. This can lead to more visits to the G.P and requests for more tests which keeps the vicious cycle going.
This is only a suggestion but if your CT scan is clear and your G.P is really pretty sure there is nothing seriously wrong it might be worth considering if this could be health anxiety. I'm certainly not saying it is but if all tests are clear I think it's worth considering.

Ruth x

longseason

Postby longseason » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi Ruth yeah I know physical symptoms can sometimes be a manifestation of anxiety but I don't think that can account for how I'm feeling, my loss of appetite is definitely physical and I've had rather ominous pain and discomfort at times, we'll see though, if my CT does comes back clear I'll explore that route.

longseason

Postby longseason » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Anybody with experience know if anything flags up tomorrow I will find out immediately after? One or two days after? One or two weeks?

Veema

Postby Veema » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 pm

No idea about a scan you have paid for, but we often had to wait a couple of weeks for the radiologist to report on a CT scan on NHS.

longseason

Postby longseason » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Veema wrote:
> No idea about a scan you have paid for, but we often had to wait a couple
> of weeks for the radiologist to report on a CT scan on NHS.
ok then, surprised it takes that long, i always thought they looked at them quite quickly, i suppose my GP might be in the for the shock of her life in two weeks time then....

Veema

Postby Veema » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm

I think they can look at them immediately, but it's the report you've to wait for. Like I say, it might be different if you've paid for it...might also be different at other hospitals.

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 pm

I

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 am

Longseason, you seem to have no confidence in your doctor, especially when you say "she is in for the shock of her life" when the CT scan is reported to her.

As you are so certain that she is wrong, I suggest that you find another doctor pdq.

longseason

Postby longseason » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:38 am

Justamo wrote:
> Longseason, you seem to have no confidence in your doctor, especially when
> you say "she is in for the shock of her life" when the CT scan is
> reported to her.
>
> As you are so certain that she is wrong, I suggest that you find another
> doctor pdq.
it's a bit late for that now really, but i never felt that any gp took my lack of appetite seriously enough, next week or so will tell i guess....