A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

Wife&Mum

Re: My journey so far.

Postby Wife&Mum » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:34 am

Hi JED
It's brilliant that you've done so well on the chemo and it's good that there are other options that you can discuss with your medical team - I'm thinking Folfirinox, chemoradiotherapy - if the Gem and Abraxane becomes inappropriate. Abraxane hasn't been used for PC for very long, only a few years, so there won't be much/any info out there about long term use. Stage 4 is not generally considered curable but there have been some recent cases in the US of stage 4 patients having successful resections. I posted details here:
http://forum.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/vi ... 210#p22664
Wishing you all the very best and I hope you get good news from the prof.
W&M x

jay

Postby jay » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Fantastic news JED,
love Jayne
xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:10 pm

That is such fantastic news JED and I think we do need to start exploring, around these new chemo routines, the potential to be be operated on because ultimately I am sure you are hopeful to be cured and with such an amazing response the question has to be asked.. what now?

We are also looking at the Folfirinox route after abraxane but it does seem that GemCap is also becoming more prominent.

I have seen people cured... google stage iv pancreatic cancer success stories. I truly hope with all my heart that you are one of the lucky ones. xxx

JED

Postby JED » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the the late reply been away on holiday for a week on the Isle of Wight with the kids during the half term and my Wife also just lost her Auntie to bowel cancer after 7mths, she was only 65.

Radiologist didn't think an Operation would be possible given how close the tumor and scar tissue is to the blood vessels. I am going to bring it up with my Oncologist next time I seem him, also want to speak to him about the long term plan of Chemo at it seems to be getting tougher as time goes on, think maybe just a maintenance dose at some point. I have chatted to him previously about other Chemo's and always got the same response which was whilst we are getting the benefit of the Gemcitabine and Abraxane best the remain on it.