Creon 40,000 units

Pete12

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while as things are just 'chugging' along, but I do keep up with posts. Has anyone else had problems with getting supplies of 40,000 units of Creon. I haven't been able to get any for a couple of months,and have been told by the pharmacist that they are no longer available. Anyone else had this problem?

Pete

Hi Pete,

It appears that the 40,000 units are no longer available! My Mum has 25,000 and 10, 000 and just takes more of them. I am not sure if they will be available again. Maybe you could phone the nurses on here they will know .

Sue

Thanks for that Sue. I also now take an increased dose of 25,000 units, but that means taking up to 10 capsules with some meals. After taking that lot I don't feel like a full meal lol.

Pete.

Hi Pete

My Dad was unable to get 40,000 and this is what Dianne (one of the nurses) wrote recently -

"I am sure you are aware we try not to intervene in your forum but we do moderate it, so I thought it might be a good time to update on the Creon.

So for the Creon, currently 40,000 unit capsules may not be available for some time, however we did have an assurance from the company that produces the Creon that they should be in stock within the year. In the interim it has been suggested that patients who are taking larger amounts of Creon should have access to the 25,000 unit capsules and those patients taking smaller amounts of Creon may be able to manage with the 10,000 unit capsules".

It is a lot of capsules to take at once isn't it?! Dad did try opening the capsules and mixing the contents with apple sauce for a while but has now reverted to taking the capsules again.

Having said that, it would be worth a conversation with your individual pharmacies and see what their understanding is currently. If you are taking large amounts ie 75,000 + with meals, it makes sense that you are given the 25,000 capsules instead of 10,000 units.