A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

RoyBoy

Chemo- 2nd cycle-2nd week- Gemcitabine

Postby RoyBoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi,
I turned up on Monday at my local MacMillan Cancer Centre for 2nd cycle - 2nd Week and they did a blood test. They leave the needle in, test the blood, and proceed with the chemo- Gemcitabine- for 30 mins.
I felt a bit queasy during chemo. I got home and in the afternoon began to feel weak and hot and took myself to bed. I later checked my temperature and found I was 38. I phoned the out of hours chemo number and was told to report to A & E.
My wife took me and I was admitted and placed on drips of paracetamol, antibiotics, saline and plasma. I had a chest x-ray as I had a mild cough. I was discharged the next afternoon with 5 days of antibiotic tablets.

Didge

Re: Chemo- 2nd cycle-2nd week- Gemcitabine

Postby Didge » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 pm

My partner had a few problems with high temperatures and infections. It's quite common so hope yours clears up quickly and you get back on track soon.

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I too had a similar incident on GemCap last year. They admitted me overnight and did tests, though found nothing untoward. When my temperature syabilised the next day I was sent home, with no further incident over 4 months treatment. They just have to play safe with potential serious infections.

Hope the rest of the treatment is uneventful.

Steve
X

RoyBoy

Postby RoyBoy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:18 am

Hi all, Thanks for the comments and support. I feel better and hopefully ready for 3rd week of chemo on Monday.