Chemo- 2nd cycle

RoyBoy

Hi, I have a query/question. On Wednesday last week I saw the Oncologist at the end of cycle 1 and my blood results that day were 2.8 white blood cells and he said hopefully they will pick up for this Monday. He also said he would prescribe me some injections to take from Day 3 this week to support my immune system.

I went for my chemo yesterday and they did not test my blood but gave me chemo straightaway. Is this normal as my daughters have told me off and that I should have asked why they did not test my blood ?

Hi, Ray used to go for a blood test the morning of the day before his chemotherapy. They would never have given it to him without the results. I had to phone the morning of the treatment to check he was good to go.

HTH

Julia

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Roy,

They should be checked again, closer to the chemo day. A week in advance is too far. However, a white cell count of 2.8 is pretty ok - they like them to be 3.0 usually, but the reason for the recheck is to make sure they have gone UP and not DOWN!

That should have been communicated to the chemo unit staff, and we used to do this by inserting a blood form into the front of the chemo chart, so when they came to give chemo, they would see the form and test the blood.

Just keep a watchful eye on your temperature as ever, and if it goes high, contact the chemo unit hotline.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

geoampsan.pink

Hi Roy,

My husband has just had his 2nd cemo session, and he has his bloods done the day before, but we haven't been told what there for or what the count is. But now I will ask. Thanks

Hi,

I turned up on Monday at my local MacMillan Cancer Centre for 2nd cycle - 2nd Week and they did a blood test. They leave the needle in, test the blood, and then proceed with the chemo- Gemcitabine- for 30 mins.

I felt a bit queasy during chemo. I got home and in the afternoon began to feel weak and hot and took myself to bed. I later checked my temperature and found I was 38. I phoned the out of hours chemo number and was told to report to A & E.

My wife took me and I was admitted and placed on drips of paracetamol, antibiotics, saline and plasma. I had a chest x-ray as I had a mild cough. I was discharged the next afternoon with 5 days of antibiotic tablets.