A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

CliveD

Re: Gem-Abraxine or Folirinox can't make my mind up

Postby CliveD » Thu May 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks very much every one that has posted a reply with information and good wishes it's been much appreciated, by me and my family.
One last question is there any one out there that has had Gemcitabine and Abraxane?

Thanks

Clive
Last edited by CliveD on Thu May 22, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Have a look at Nikkis posts Clive. She has probably the only experience of this new combination of drugs.

Steve
X

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Clive,
Haven't been here very much later, as am trying not to let PC rule our lives!
Yes as Steve says, my husband has had folfirinox and then abraxane. He started the folfirinox 2 months after surgery (a whipples and then a pancreatectomy)and was pretty rough with it. His haemaglobin was always low, he had lots of sickness and each session left him weaker. But I suspect a lot of this was down to the surgery.
In January he couldn't really take it any more, and as he was in constant pain,diarrhoea and sickness we suspected it was no longer working. We are fortunate to have company private health care, who were happy to pay for abraxane. Since starting this he has steadily improved, and the professionals, including his oncologist can't believe the difference in him now. However again some of this I suspect might be due to the fact that it has taken him this long to get over the surgery.

There was some shrinkage of Paul's tumour, which corresponded with the change over of regimes, and no growth to date. (Touch wood!) with either.

I honestly can't advise you which course is the best, and it is a horrendous position for you to be in, having to make this decision. It is also so very unfair that NICE will not approve abraxane as a second treatment. What I can say is that folfirinox was Paul's very dynamic consultants first choice, and the evidence seems to suggest that this is the treatment most likely to shrink a tumour, but at the moment we are very happy with abraxane, which we feel has given us a second chance.

Hope you can reach a decision you feel comfortable with,
Best wishes,
Nikki

Johanna

Postby Johanna » Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Clive,

My mother (65 years) is also receiving gemcitabine + Abraxane as of February and she has tolerated it quite well. The main symptoms have been mild nausea (no vomiting), taste disorders, tiredness, reduced platelet count and low haemoglobin. Nevertheless, throughout this time, she has been able to take yoga classes and go for walks and has been able to put on quite a lot of the weight she lost at the early stages of the disease (she was disgnosed with locally advanced PC in December 2013). Mom is due to have a CT scan next Tuesday which we all are feeling nervous about. So we don’t know about the efficacy yet. But I am feeling optimistic because it seems to me that despite the chemo symptoms, she is feeling better, not worse.

I wish you all the luck with your difficult decision and the treatment you choose.

Johanna