Simon Hoggart

cestrian

RIP Simon Hoggart, broadcaster and journalist who sadly died yesterday from Pancreatic Cancer after suffering from the disease for some years. Sincere condolences to his friends and family.

I was not aware that he was actually suffering from PC and do feel that it is a pity that a high profile victim of PC could not have been something of a figurehead in the fight to publicise the disease and the lack of progress in its diagnosis and treatment. There have been numerous examples of women in particular who have been very courageous in using their own illness to make the public aware of Breast Cancer and other female related cancers. I know that everyone will have their own strongly held personal views on how they wish to deal with the illness and it is absolutely one's own decision whether to reveal or not that one has been diagnosed with cancer.

I am put in mind of broadcaster, John Diamond, married to Nigella, who suffered from throat cancer and wrote a very entertaining book about alternative therapists or in his own words "Snake Oil Salesmen"! I am sure he did a great deal to raise public awareness of that particular cancer and feel that we PC sufferers need all the help we can get in bringing our own vicious disease to the public's attention.

Love and Peace

Interesting thoughts. I too had (like Mark) assumed Siimon was inoperable. My logic was that I was told at the outset if I remained inoperable that I would probably not reach retirment age. As I was 58 at the time, I had subconsciously conjoured up a figure of 5 years maximum, though in reality none of us actually know what is around the corner with the unpredictable nature of the beast!

Steve

X

Hi All

I don't think we'll ever know what treatment he had but he certainly seems to have bucked the trend as far as statistics go if he was inoperable when diagnosed. Never mind about not seeing retirement I was told last May I was unlikely to see Christmas!! Well we're now looking forward to spending the first week of March in Lanzarote God willing.

I've been a bit worried by having more stomach twinges since just before Christmas but am thinking it may the additional goodies and richer food I've been eating and thankfully Loperamide does the trick!! As Steve says with this sneaky little critter you never know what's round the corner.

My genetic test was negative for the Jewish mutation so they are now running the tests for the standard BRCA1 and 2 which will take a little longer as it's like looking for the proverbial needle! I'm anxious to get the result though as it could affect the treatment I'm having - not sure but I think my Dr mentioned some platinum based drug.

Very best of luck with the nano knife tomorrow Mark and Sarah's Mum

Love and Peace

Mike

Thanks Julia

A lovely article by his daughter and it must be very difficult for someone in the public eye to decide whether to go public. I'm just sorry that Simon decided against doing so as our cause could certainly do with a high profile figurehead to grab the headlines. It would also be good to know more about the leading edge treatment he was receiving at the XX. They are excellent there and have kept a cousin's partner alive long after his " sell by date".

I'm sure there is a lot of truth in the assertion that his enthusiasm for his work helped to keep him alive well beyond his initial prognosis - or at least that's what I am hoping as even though I'm retired I have such a lot I want to do!!

Love and Peace

Mike

Mike

I agree Mike. He talked about 'cancer being well written about' which is true but pc is one of those cancers which isn't well written about so as you say he would have made a good high profile figurehead. On the other hand I do understand his decision to keep it private.

Yes the XX certainly seems to have an excellent reputation and it sounds like he was quite lucky. Not many get the chance to course their way through a 'variety of different chemotherapy treatments'.

Hope you are still well Mike, I'm sure you're going to get to do lots of those things you want to do!

L&P

Julia x

• 4 months later...

I have just decided to post a comment on this site after reading this discussion. I have a loved one who is battling this cancer and am baffled by post operative ups and downs. I was surprised that a well respected journalist like Simon Hoggart did not use his position to highlight the very poor diagnosis, treatment and survival rates of Pancreatic Cancer.

Extracts from his daughters article.

"Thanks to cutting-edge treatment at the XX hospital, in London, Dad managed to fight on for another three and a half years.

Is this cuttiing edge treatment available to all Pancreatic Cancer patients?

"He proudly considered himself the poster boy of pancreatic cancer treatment, and was delighted every time his doctors showed off his stats at medical conferences round the world. Things took a sudden turn for the worse just before Christmas, however, and he died on Sunday."

Simon was a very quiet and unobtrusive poster boy to other sufferers of PC. As someone else said, he missed a golden opportunity to highlight the poor diagnosis, treatment and research funding of this cancer. He could have raised more awareness with a couple of articles and TV interviews than the whole of the PC community combined.

The first time I ever heard of Pancreatic cancer was when Patrick Swawyze announced that he had this cancer. I thought he was so brave to go public as although a public figure was protective of his private life. He is my poster boy for pancreatic cancer.