A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
J_T

Re: Chemotherapy options

Postby J_T » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Great letter Carole and well done you!

Ironic isn't it that you're still fighting even after your loss. I think you've got every right to feel angry.

I've still not sat down and written my letter of complaint, the focus of which will be on communication/bedside manner problems, but I'm hoping its going to be cathartic when I do feel ready. I also have to decide whether to complain officially about the two last district nurses that tended Ray the night he died. They were new to us and they handled him very roughly and he died a couple of minutes after. The way they moved him really upset me at the time though I can't believe it was deliberate? Anyway will think on it.

So sorry you've had to deal with an unhelpful response to your first letter and hoping, with the support of your MSP you get a better one next time.

Keep us updated.

Love
Julia x

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Well done Carole, you put your thoughts over so well, and as I have aside before unless people like you have their say ,things won't get better. My husband is regularly seen in our local hospice, and when I see the gentle, kind way the doctors and nurses deal with patients it makes me so sad to think so many people are not getting the same standard of care. It's shameful,

Nikki

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:08 am

You are all probably aware that the quality of care and respect I have received from NHS Wales staff has been consistently of the highest standard. I truly believe the healthcare professionals I have dealt with would be aghast to hear some of the stories regarding their counterparts elsewhere in the NHS. Some form of centralised register of our experiences might be of interest to the wider NHS community, as you say not necessarily to 'name and shame' , but at least to make people aware.

It should not be like this.

Steve
X

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Carole

I can only echo what Steve has said as here in Chester and Merseyside I have had the benefit of consistently excellent treatment and care. Luckily I haven't "hit the wall" yet so have not needed any emergency admissions or weekend treatment. It is patently not right that Steve and I have such good care while patients in other areas face all the problems that they do.

Keep going Carole as if patient experience is not reported things will not change. Of course they will attempt to brush off your complaint so I expect you will have to escalate it to see any results.

Love and Peace

Mike

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Carole

I'm glad you got your letter done. Things like that can race around in your head until you get them down on paper.

Like Clive, Jonathan deteriorated very quickly in the end and thank heavens he was already in our hospice. I don't know how I'd have coped otherwise.

Hope you get a better response this time.

Cathy xx

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Isn't it amazing that in my profession of Financial Services the complaints procedure is very prescriptive with firms facing heavy penalties for non-compliance! Strict time scales are laid down for initial and final responses to be issued and if a client feels the response is not satisfactory they can refer to the Financial Ombudsman without cost for further investigation and a final ruling.

Oh that such disciplines applied in the NHS where the main objective seems to be to admit nothing and apologise for nothing to minimise the possibility of compensation payments,

Love and Peace

Mike