faecal incontinence

suef

I hesitate to bring up such a 'taboo' subject but the great joy of this website is the possibility to discuss intimate matters.

I had a Whipple 2 years ago and have recovered well but, no matter how much Creon I take and no matter how careful I am about what I eat, I still get violent, sudden diarrhaea about once every 4-6 weeks. I could probably live with this (am so very grateful my tumour was non-cancerous) but my hobby is walking and in the countryside, with people I might not know very well, there are not always convenient bushes around. Exercise seems to bring on the urge to pass motions, I have already had one embarassing episode and it is beginning to put me off walking, have lost my confidence.

In my GP's surgery I found a leaflet about the Bladder & Bowel Foundation http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/

and plan to ask my GP for advice when I see him next.

Does anybody else have suggestions?

Sorry again to bring up such a subject but it crossed my mind that others might have the same problem and hesitate to mention it!

SueF

Not nice to talk about I know!

I can only say what has helped me in the past, which is:

Don't eat much ( or any ) fat the day before the walk;

Take a dihydrocodeine or other opiate tablet the night before and/or in the morning to slow down peristalsis.

We went walking last week in Suffolk and I was OK without the above - I have no pancreas.

It will be interesting to see what your doctor days.

Best wishes,

Anne.

Why don't you take Imodium/Loperamide ?

All the supermarkets sell some form of anti-diarrhoea stuff--- about 98p for 6 tablets

Hi

it was my mum who was ill, but she suffered chronically with her tum. she would take immodium instants, or codiene.

Louie

Thank you all so much for your practical suggestions, and especially to AnneD for providing exactly the word I needed, peristalsis! Now I can explain to my GP exactly what I need!

Hi

definately very low fat foods day before and anti d. tabs

drink water

People who are prescribed medication to aid weight loss have to cut down or cut out high fat foods or will suffer same symptoms. (on a lighter note they also don't lose weight if they dont!! ) and GP will stop their scripts after a few months

good luck and enjoy your walks

Helen xx

Thanks again for all your suggestions. The GP has referred me to a Continence Clinic, will let you know what happens!

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

A few weeks ago I posted on this rather embarassing topic, experienced after my Whipple, and my GP referred me to a consultant at the hospital. The meeting with the consultant went really well and he suggested I tried taking Questran. This is a prescribed medication that thickens the stools - and it has completely changed my life! All my problems have vanished, I pass normal stools, and can go for long walks with no problems! I take 2 sachets, mixed with water, each day, just have to be careful not to take it close to other medication as there can be absorbtion problems.

My surgeon, and others, suggested Immodium but I view that as treating the symptoms not the cause, whereas Questran gets right to the problem.

I hope this will help others!

SueF