A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Gill44

Re: Whipple Procedure.................

Postby Gill44 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Thank you Helen,

I hope your hubby is on the mend soon.

Gill x

richiebirch

Postby richiebirch » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Gill-Keep smiling,I had my op 18 months ago.Take each day as it comes and dont worry too much about your food intake,your digestive system will "right" itself eventually.Its a massive op and we are all different with regards to recovery.Feel free to ask me anything!! All the best for Monday-Regards Richie x

Gill44

Postby Gill44 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Richie,

Did you taste buds go to pot after your op? Even tap water tastes awful :(

I still cannot get my head around the past 3 months, everything just happend so quickly.

Any advise on post op would be good to hear.

Hope you are keeping well

Gill x

AnneD

Postby AnneD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Hello Gill,
It's good to see that you are making a good recovery from your recent Whipple procedure.
I'd just like to say that, like you, my sense of taste was weird after the surgery.
I didn't like water and couldn't drink tea or coffee for ages.
All I wanted to drink, and I don't know why, was cups of Oxo!!
I relied on Ready Brek, soup, mashed potato and Oxo for about three weeks after I came home and gradually introduced other things.
Now, three months post-op, I can eat anything and have a good appetite.
I don't need Oxo any more and enjoy a cup of tea as I used to.
Good luck with your continued recovery,
Anne.

Gill44

Postby Gill44 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hi Helen,

I hope your Hubby is on the mend soon.

Gill x

HMac

Postby HMac » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Gill,

Thanks for that - his wound is 'granulating' (funny how quickly you pick up the terminology
isn't it !! But then, if you don't, you can't keep up with the conversation ...) but the district
nurses reckon it'll be another month yet before it heals. This was not the best of news for
my husband today as he was already feeling 'on a low'. Some days he's bright and alert, yet
others he'll sleep nearly all day. His appetite hasn't been brilliant today either. Hopefully
tomorrow will be a better day for him.

Hope you are continuing to recover well and keeping smiling !

Helen

desmet34

Postby desmet34 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 am

Hi,
I had my op on January 2010, followed by 6 months of chemotherapy. not disputing that getting well again is indeed a struggle- but i am now back at work- full time as a staff nurse and doing well. thank god for Glasgow Royal Infirmay and the marvelous Mr {name removed -moderator}, i still have a life!
desmet34

Trevor F

Postby Trevor F » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:19 pm

desmet

I had my Italian Job or Whipples in June 2009 followed by chemo. I have been back at work now since Sept 2009, busier than before ! It's like starting over again with a new life.

Avs

Postby Avs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Guys

Very inspirational stories from everyone on this forum after going through such a big operation.

I would like to also add my family issues and would appreciate some responses from everyone involved. My mother 62 has been diagnosed with PC, she also had lesions on her liver and lung which has come up benign, great news, the doctors here in Australia were waiting on these results to determine if the Whipples will go ahead as they advised it will not if the Cancer has spread which we now know it hasnt.

Most likely after speaking to our surgical team we will decide as a family if my mum will go ahead with this procedure, would love to hear from others who have been through the Whipples Procedure with their experiences and risks involved with such a big op.

Thanks in advance

suef

Postby suef » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Dear Gill,

Here is some more positive news. I had a Whipple 2 years ago to remove a tumour from the head of my pancreas. The tumour turned out to be non-cancerous, for which I am truly grateful. I spent 3 weeks in hospital, and another 3 weeks convalescing at home before going away on holiday. In September last year I did the Hadrian's Wall long distance footpath, about 80 miles, over 10 days, rather slowly but with enormous pride and enjoyment! My life is more or less normal, except that I have small meals and take lots of Creon!

Good luck!

SueF