Incision hernia

smilodon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Smilodon,

I had whipples operation in Sept 2009 and was left with a hernia on the incision site.Its directly in the centre of the wound under my rib cage,and about four inches long. It was probably caused by excessive strain,and i can actually remember round about the time it may have been caused. My consultant is happy to repair this as and when i request,but after major surgery i have decided to wait as it does not cause me pain and at 51 my days of parading along the beach trying to impress have gone!!!(i was never like that any way.

I wear a support belt around the area(like a velcro strip which i wrap around.) Its approx 6 inches wide and not noticable under clothing. Im sure your doctor will be able to refer you to the appropriate dept. Best of luck.

Regards

Richie

• 2 weeks later...
PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Smilodon,

Incisional hernias are very common after major abdominal surgery.

They are easily corrected, with a revised operation and insertion of a mesh to reduce the hernia. Usually 48 hour stay in hospital. No heavy lifting afterwards though!

This is what can put pressure on the wound area. There is always a likelihood that it could reoccur at the same site, so post-op care is very important.

Hope this helps,

Jeni.