Sports following Whipples

Trevor F

Can anyone recommend any sports to play following a Whipples procedure ?

I used to play golf a lot but I can't turn any more for a full swing and follow through.........if I do I may end up in the loo.

I kept my Hickman line so if I go swimming I look like the bionic man but it may clear a few people out of the pool .

Is walking OK ?

Hello Post-Whipples person

I had my Whipples on 29/7/10 and I was jogging, with my surgeon's encouragement, in mid-October and golfing by November with no problems and no loss of length off the tee. I regret that my game hasn't improved but what the hell. I enjoy playing badly even more now. Other sports? Too old for most but I have completed a charity run (for Pancreatic Cancer UK) of 4.5 miles in a good time and can swim with no problems. Incidentally, I'm 68.

You should be fine soon.

Good luck

La Falaise

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 10 years younger than you and played golf until my Whipples.

Trouble is that now I'm too apprehensive about making a full turn and following through when driving off the tee in case it does some damage.

Also the digestion is not quite sorted out yet so I may have to take a chemical toilet with me, or a spade.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,

you may want to consider taking up the sport of flat green bowling. NOW! before you say oh yeah, old man's marbles, more and more youngsters are coming into the sport and in my club we have players as young as 8 years old rising to 16/17 in fact one of our girls is representing our county in the all england junior womans bowls championsips at Leamington this year. I have been bowling since 1978, I am now 68 and had my whipples 2 years ago this month. Obviously I stopped playing after the op and re-started at the beginning of this season (May) and have played several times each week. Many clubs have "taster" sessions for prospective players to "have a go" before deciding whether the sport is for them.

It is certainly worth considereing, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Peter.

• 11 months later...
Desertmouse

I had my Whipples on 10 June 2011 and started running again (with surgeon's approval) five weeks later. Now up to a mile at a time and times are improving, even though I've started chemo. Also coxed my first rowing outing for three months last Saturday.

Hi there, have you considered taking up flat green bowls. This sport is no longer thought as "old man's marbles" as it used to be. We are finding that more & more youngsters are coming into the game, some as young as 8 years old. The outdoor game is played between the months of May & September inclusive and many towns & city's have indoor greens which allow you to continue playing all through the year. Bowling is a sport which allows you to be as competative or not depending on what you hope to achieve. With sufficient proficiency you could be playing for your county and even representing your county in the all england finals held each year at Worthing. Most private clubs would/should allow you to have a taster session so that you can "have a go" before committing to membership. I would suggest that you look for a club that has a qualified coach (many don't) to make sure your taught the correct way to play from the word go. With my own club most Saturday games are friendlies and after the match both teams sit down to a meal and take a drink with the opposition. There is a certain amount of etiquite that is followed much the same way as golf.

I have included here the web address of the photo gallery of my own club which you can paste ino your browser and peruse at your leisure.

It is a little known fact that the Australian & English bowls squads are younger than the Cricket Test 11's.

http://www.ukvbuilder.co.uk/sites/kislingburybowlsclub/photo-album.aspx

Good luck and hope that at least give it a go. I would be interested in how you get on.

Peter